Turning an Old Monitor Into a Fishtank

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

More Pics!

Drilling the starter hole for cutting a hole in the top of the monitor case... so we can feed the fish and change the water.

While actually cutting the hole in the top of the case, the plastic was fusing back together as I was cutting! So after I went around the hole once, I used a utility knife to poke holes along the melted plastic and was then able to snap the cut piece out of the hole. Rather funny to me.

Since the plastic was fusing back together from the friction, we had to sand down the edges to get rid of the "bubbling up" effect of the fused plastic.

The next step was to get the tank outside and ready to be painted! We cut a few plastic scraps and glued them inside the case to create an edge for the cut-out piece to fit back in its hole as a lid. We also used trusty scotch tape to tape the front panel of the monitor in its "to-be" permanent place, so the paint job would match up.

Painting at last! Here you can see the before color as we are adding the first coat of our tan base color.

We finished our first attempt of creating a background of an old Treasure map. Using 2 shades of tan paint to give an older look.

Here is a shot of the finished paint job without the bright outdoor sun. Next we will be using a dark brown paint marker to create the treasure map on our background.

We also checked the tank for leaks and after a little over 24 hours, we are still leak free! So we decided to test out the filter and bubbledisk to see how they look and make sure we know how they operate.

It is possible that tonight we may go ahead and use the brown paint marker to make the treasure map. Then tomorrow, I'll spray a glossy clear coat over everything to protect it and give it that finishing shine!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

:partyman: We painted! We painted! We painted! Check it out:

So, what do ya'll think? Clear coat is tomorrow night, then hopefully we'll have fish in it by the weekend!
deadly-app
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by deadly-app »

sweeeet. Not my style, but it sure looks sweet.

Way to go, what speed were you cutting with the jigsaw, you have to basically have it running as low as possible(acting as a hacksaw) in order to keep it from fusing back together. This is why people dont use dremels for plastic and acrylic very often.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I was concentrating too much on staying on the line... so yes, I know I was letting the jig saw speed get too high. It all worked out nicely though. :) Thanks for the compliment!
Justin West
Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

Last night, we got the clear coat painted on the monitor, the backdrop taped on the tank and the cylindars glued into place. We put the tank inside, screwed on the front and filled the tank with water to make sure everything will hold just fine. Tomorrow, we'll attach all the hardware and hopefully have fish in it by the weekend! I ordered a heater online, but it's been backordered until today (theoretically). I am going to go to a few stores to see if I can find a different heater and just cancel my order. If not, our project may be delayed until it comes in.

The pictures we took last night will be edited and posted tonight -- it looks really neat! I can't wait to get the lights hooked up and the fish in it! Illuminati picked out the background and gravel, and I think he did a fantastic job!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

8 days later and still no pics? What gives?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Make that 13 days and no updates... I think those fish died when justin used the wrong sealant on the tank. (not his fault, as the store told him wrong) Might want to update that so no one else buys what you used.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

It wasn't the wrong sealant... we just must have used too much pressure when setting the tank in the monitor. We'll be more carefull when we get around to re-making the tank.

And the fish are still alive. :)

For all that don't know, the front panel of the tank started leaking after putting the tank in the monitor for the final time... We are taking a break from the project... but will try to get the tank re-sealed sometime this week or the next.
Justin West
kevlau99
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Compelted a Tank!

Post by kevlau99 »

well, I tried this out last week. Found a 19" Monitor, gutted it and spend about #150.00 on parts, fish stuff and fish. Here's the finished product. Looks great! Now I'm going to try and sell them... Check it out here - http://www.kevlau.com/Fishtank

It takes quite alot of work to make these and the fish supplies are not cheap but if done right, it looks pretty good. Used the On/Off button for the light.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Awesome looking monitor tank! Better than the one Justin tried to make in this thread as he never finished it! LOL (j/k Justin)

Make a new thread and post up some pictures! If you want e-mail them to me and I'll host them for you if needed.
kevlau99
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by kevlau99 »

Thanks. I have too much time on my hands right now so I gave it try. Turned out better than I though it would. The link in my message has the only photos I took. It's been working for 3 days now w/no leaks or problems. I'll get some more photos taken of the interior layout when I get a chance. I have a cut out on the top to access the tank. I noticed when the bubbles go to the top there is some spray over that on accasion drips down the front but I can remidy that with a plexiglass lip on the front edge. Might just add that this week.
cubedgame
Legit User
Legit User

Post by cubedgame »

Wow, that's really cool. I need to make me one of those if I ever get any fish.
-cubedgame
Antonik
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Antonik »

Thats pretty cool. If u paint the monitor it would be even cooler.
EvilCloudStrife
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by EvilCloudStrife »

awesome idea! this should be awesome.. i cant wait! :)
ELIK18
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by ELIK18 »

GOOD JOB DUDE
KEEP ON :)
Seabound
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Seabound »

Any updates ?! I know I'm kinda resurrecting the thread ... but I'm curious about this :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

HAHA... funny you might ask! A few of us got together for dinner this week and the fish tank monitor was talked about then also!

Justin what gives? It's been a year!
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

haha i never even knew this thread existed :)

awesome idea, guys. you should post an article about this mod or something.

i kept thinking about how much of a bitch it'd be to clean the tank out...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah Justin... comment on your thread damn it! :finga:
vets
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by vets »

I just got 4 gold fish from Wal*Mart this past weekend. I have them in a 5lbs glass honey jar.

This gives me an idea for the two broken Packard-Bell 15" monitors. Hmm.

er' ruf

On the Internet, nobody knows that you're a dog.