Softmods for ATI video cards

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Softmods for ATI video cards

Post by LVCapo »

I used this method to flash my Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO card to a Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition a couple of days ago, temp went up 2C, 3D mark went up over 1000 points with the 4 extra pipes unlocked. Very easy to do (I tried 4 different BIOS versions),, and this guys method allows you to set your card back to its original configuration, thereby keeping the warranty. He has the mods and BIOS for several types of cards. If anyone is interested In trying this, check this guys article out

techPowerUp! :: X800 Pro VIVO to XT PE Bios Mod
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/ove ... idcard/100
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

IMHO, video card bios flashing is one of the best ways of getting everything out of a card. I've been doing it from my ATI 8500 on. I even got one of my 9800Pro cards from a guy for free that trashed his flash and couldn't get it back. I bet him I could (it was at a LAN Party), All I did was flash the card back with a OEM ATI 9800 Pro bios in the blind and it worked out great........... :shock: That's the card I'm using in my main box.
In bios flashing, always save you original bios first if you don't have a spare on hand. I think I have about 20 different bios on my HD for ATI cards (mostly 9500, 9700 and 9800).
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

That's another good find (I like this place!)
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

this is turning into a therad we had over at Tweakbox.net back in Dec of 03 except that it was all about 9800 Pro bios.

http://www.tweakbox.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=689

http://www.tweakbox.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=747
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Really good flashing utilities. for testing i flashed 4 different BIOSes onto my card, two worked and enabled the extra 4 pipes, but more importantly I was able to reflash to my old BIOS after each attempt....something you can't do using the Gigabyte flash method (which if you used and had had pipes, you were stuck with, also voided your warranty)
If you are going to flash your video card, use these utilities, alot easier and it the onlt one that allows you to reflash your old BIOS if you have problems.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

im curious to see how performance is actually affected, what the gains and disadvantages are...
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Well, the advantage was an increase from 4578 to 5988 in 3DMark05. Temps are about the same, all 16 pipes are enabled,don't really see a difference, but my eyes are bad. The disadvantage is I had a few crashes in Doom 3, not sure why, might not have been the video card though. Everyone else i've talked with who has flashed their card has had a good experience and no real problems.... the funny thing about that is the supporet forums for Sapphire and ATI warn against flashing the BIOS and talk of several people who have fried their cards, but no one has been able to find one of these people, seems like typical company BS to me.
Next week i'm going to try the mod with a PowerColor X800Pro.