Need advice for a plexiglass case mod

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
Inconditionnel
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Need advice for a plexiglass case mod

Post by Inconditionnel »

Hey, Im looking to put two plexiglass sides on my pc without using the original sides. What would be the most efficient way of installing it, screws, glue, epoxy? I have no idea.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need advice for a plexiglass case mod

Post by DMB2000uk »

Well if you glue it shut, how are you supposed to access it for upgrades/maintenance?

Most people just cut a big hole in the case side panels and stick the plexy in the space they cut out, this way you can still get at the PC if something goes wrong or it needs a clean.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Inconditionnel
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Inconditionnel »

I kinda lost a side of the case in a move. As long as its not the side i need to access for upgrading would i be safe gluing it?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah, but you'd see the glue through the glass and glue never stays clear... I'd suggest stainless steel Allen head screws (personal taste) or some Torx head screws with a black finish on them depending on how the rest of the case looks... not only do these types of screw heads look good they will also prevent people from getting into it at a LAN party as they have to get the right tools.

Maybe you could use a tap and die set to make some threaded holes into the case frame and then drill holes into the plexi glass and the same places (a cardboard template helps here) and then you can mount the sides.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

yup what Apoptosis said. 4 evenly spaced along each side would do you just fine. I wouldn't go any thiner than 3/16 thick for the plexi, get any thiner than that you will run a good chance of putting your hand through the side when moving it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Inconditionnel
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Inconditionnel »

Thank you for all your suggestions! (: They have been much appreciated and gave me a nice design idea. Im getting the supplies around 4 or 5 today. I will post pictures today or tommorow of the finished product.