How To: Paint Mask or Stencil

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

How To: Paint Mask or Stencil

Post by bubba »

So you have an idea for a image you want on the side of something but you can't find a stencil(s) for what you want/need, well make your own.

For our craft project today you will need:

-A roll of wide masking tape, wider the better.
-A sheet of transparency film or a roll of wax paper
-A box sharp razer blades, yes a box don't buy just one
-An inkjet printer
-the artwork you want to use as a stencil in digital form, ie something you can print.
-Q-tips / cotton swabs

First get the tape and the transparency film out. If your using wax paper you have to cut out a piece into an 8.5x11 sheet first.

Now cover the film or paper with the tape lengthwise, making sure to over lap each strip by a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Then on one end width wise run a strip that wrap the leading edge of the film/wax paper. This will keep the tape from peeling off in the printing phase.

Now at your printer, load the taped up film/wax paper like you would a piece of photo paper with the taped up edge in the direction of the feed.

Print out the image you want, in my case I'm making some CD cases for my kids.
TIP: don't forget to tell the printer to use draft mode, otherwise you have to forever for the ink to dry or the ink get every were. You see this in the next few images, I forgot :oops:

Now that you have the image printed, you can peel it off the film/wax paper. Do this in the same direction to put the tape on. This way when you pull the tape up your pulling up the next strip of tape, other wise due to the way it over laps if you went the opposite direction you would only pull up one strip of tape.

Once you have it off the film/paper put it on your project where you want it. Take care to keep from getting creases or wrinkles.

With the SHARP blade cut out the parts you want to paint. If your going to do multiple colors then cut out the whole stencil and back mask the different colors. If you only cut one color at a time when you paint the first color you would loose the lines of the others.
TIP: use only new SHARP blades, dull blades will tear the tape. You also have to press harder to cut the tape, press to hard you will cut/groove the surface you're painting. This is bad, the grooves will show up in layers of paint to follow.

Once you have all the stencil cut, rub all the edges to make sure they will not allow the paint to bleed under.

Then paint, always do this in a well ventilated area. So no painting in the closet.

The paint is still drying so I will edit this here in a bit after the paint has dried.
Last edited by dicecca112 on Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to sticky
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: How To: Paint Mask or Stencil

Post by vicaphit »

Great How-To! I tried this with regular paper instead of the tape, and it always bleeds through.

Kudos to you sir.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Stuck
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

sniff.. you're going to make me cry, my first sticky :lol: :mrgreen:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

This is a great guide, thanks bubba.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
skier

Post by skier »

way to put to the web what very few people knew how to do(me not being one, as i only freehanded the VOLKL logo on my case with masking tape) =D>
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

I've always used a similar method but instead of tape, I just picked up some adhesive spray from an arts and crafts store like Michaels, just print your design on something thick like card stock or a transparency if you want a permanent stencil, cut it out, spray the back with adhesive spray, stick it on, and spray paint it. It's a good deal less hassle. Great guide all the same and congrats on the sticky =D>
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Do you clean off the sticky mess with alcohol afterwards? That sticky mess would really bother me.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

If you spray the adhesive on the paper first and let it dry, it's really only tacky enough to prevent under spray and peels off quite easily without residue.
Masking tape, on the other hand, isn't sticky by nature but is a lot more work. Whatever works for you though...
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Here's some more great paint tricks: http://airbrushtricks.com

I saw this guy over at instructables (he's been posting some great vids) and I was very impressed. Anyone thinking about painting their case should check him out as he gives a lot of great advice for free.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Airbrush masking is cool, I have used it in the past for spaying stuff on paper. When it comes to plastic and metal I go this route, its cheaper LOL, and sticks better of many layers of colors.

when it warms up I'm planing on a how to on how you can make a carbon fiber look on plexi, Been doing it on RC car bodies for years. But have to wait for it to warm up, wife gets a little grumpy when I paint in the house :lol:
-Thomas Jefferson
PCFlip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by PCFlip »

nice guide, umm the paint should be dry after a month has gone by lol can you post some final pics please. ^_^
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

LOL forgot... I don't have a close up shot, I'll try and find where my kids threw them. These were stocking stuffers for my kids, the little snots just threw'em to the side :? Oh well, guess thats what I get for being cheap.
Attachments
CD_Cases.jpg
CD_Cases.jpg (64.98 KiB) Viewed 27302 times
-Thomas Jefferson
PCFlip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by PCFlip »

being cheap??? I thought this took more thought and more heart them what most people get other people, its sad how materialistic Christmas has become. :( I think you did a great job on those.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Wow, those are some crisp lines on that stencil!

Hell, if your kids don't want them, I will take them off your hands!

Are those CD cases?
----
Andy

bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Yes, they are aluminum cases that I got in my junk mail at work. They had a big CD size sticker of a penny on them before I took it off.
Attachments
Picture 373.jpg
Picture 373.jpg (34.46 KiB) Viewed 27233 times
-Thomas Jefferson
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

From tacky to awesome. Nice work bubba.
----
Andy

PCFlip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by PCFlip »

huh its probably how much it cost them to make those things lol but I admit at first I thought you painted one to be a penny before I read your post lol.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I actually saw some CD cases just like the ones you made in walmart, maybe they saw this post! Different design, but black paint on silver cases.
----
Andy

kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kappage »

Bubba Great idea problem When i did it just like you did the spray paint seeped through the Tape but not in the desired fashion... As in part of it is and other parts arent i might go around the edges with Electrical tape or soemthing i dont know..

And also Head up for anyone else who is doing this, DONT use gaffa tape ( or duck tape) because it will peel off the paint real Easy...

This makes me angry.. SPIKEY KITTENS (red vs blue)
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real