Apple Keyboard / Paint Job, Questions.

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
Resnik
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Apple Keyboard / Paint Job, Questions.

Post by Resnik »

So, I was walking around the mother of overpriced stores today..
Best Buy!
And I found that I freakin loved the Apple Keyboard.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... ductdetail

However, im not 100% sure if named keyboard is compatiable with Windows.. Xp, or Vista..
Im fairly certain i've seen some sort of key mapper software that can change Mac's Command, to Windows Control button, But, I'd still like opinions.

Also..
Im not a big fan of White..
So, Does anyone know of a spray paint that wont completely ruin the keys???
HAha, I'd be pretty skeptical honestly, but.. This would be one CLEAN keyboard, if it was black..

Im not a fan of typical plastic keyboards, large/tall buttons.... all that..goes along with every Windows keyboard i've seen..

I love how Apple uses Metal instead of Plastic in the construction of its Keyboards.. And the Slim Key design is also extremely nice.

Anyone with any suggestions or perhaps alternative keyboards that are windows compatiable.. feel free to post em! :partyman:
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Apple Keyboard / Paint Job, Questions.

Post by DMB2000uk »

The large tall buttons allow for travel of the keys when you press them, granted you could probably find a laptop type external keyboard with thinner buttons, but you aren't going to find anything else quite like that mac 'board.

As for painting it, well I fear that the paint would wear away far too easily during normal use.

Some searching turned up closest approximations of:
Speedlink's range of keyboards, particularly the Illuminated Dark Metal Keyboard.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Resnik
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Resnik »

Spot on as always Dan.

That product from Speed-Link is Amazing.
What I ment by "Large keys" was actually refering to the Depth that most standard keyboards have.. The Height of the Keys themselves..
Its something i personally Despise.

However, the Wider and Lower profile keys on most slim Keyboards is rather appealing.

Thanks again man. :drinkers:
Resnik
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Resnik »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823155003

Probably what im going to be picking up..
Looks to be about the same diminsions as the Mac Keyboard..

The one from speed-link, while nice and lithe, is to wide and long, in comparsion to what im looking for..
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Resnik wrote:What I ment by "Large keys" was actually refering to the Depth that most standard keyboards have.. The Height of the Keys themselves..
That's what I meant too :P

Laptop keys actually have less vertical travel on them than regular keyboards (Because they are thinner).

Glad you found something you liked.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Don't know about the Windows drivers for a Apple Keyboard, but you could try vinyl dye for the painting. I believe bubba made a guide to using vinyl dye in this very modding forum.
Resnik
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Resnik »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823200007

Just a little update..
Decided to go with the Fatal1ty Board, its pretty clean.

I'd still rather have a black Mac keyboard however, those things could be so sexy. :-k
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

If you haven't already ordered this, check out the Razer Lycosa, it is a laptop style keyboard with illuminated keys, but in all black.

It even has anti-ghosting around the WASD keys so you can press more than 3 buttons at a time.

http://www.razerzone.com/index.php?main ... ucts_id=76

The large flat black piece can be removed if you don't want the wrist rest.

My only complaint is that the illumination when you have all keys lit up is kinda dim. If you are in a really bright room it is hard to see it lit up, but it looks beautiful in a dark room because you can't really see light coming between the keys, only through the letters.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Resnik
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Resnik »

Yeah, good look on that Keyboard..

I've seen it, however.. do you happen to have any pics of the keyboard with the wrist support removed??

I'm still leaning towards the the Fatal1ty, for some reason. :partyman:

Thanks for the Recommendation though man!
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

That has the illumination off also. If you ever wanted to learn to touch type, that will teach you pretty well, because you cannot see the letters with no illumination!

The notches in the middle are kinda cool if you pick up your keyboard often, you can pick it up with one hand right in the center.

The keyboard is so thin, that the box it came in, was thinner than my Dell keyboard.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

Resnik
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Resnik »

Yeah, the illumination is honestly just a cool factor in my book..

I've been able to type without looking at the keys pretty much since day one..

I used to play text-based games using a program called Zmud, and well.. thats the end of that story.. *snicker*

I need to see the Lycosa and the Fatal1ty board in person before i make my decision, for some reason the keys on the Lycosa seem to be not as flat as the keyset on the Fatal1ty, chances are they are the same dimensions.

Thanks for the Picture mang! :supz:
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

good luck finding them on display, I have never seen one displayed before, and Best Buy is the only place I could find it. You can get them online though, but you won't get to try it out.
----
Andy