Modding help

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
rogermoss
Legit User
Legit User

Modding help

Post by rogermoss »

I have recently upgraded my ATX case, mobo, CPU, grapics card etc and would like some advice on modding accessories.

I have modded cases before but with all this new, expensive stuff, I don't want to screw anything up.

Puter Specs:

Case - Coolermaster Centurion 5 Black/Blue
Mobo - ASUS A8V Deluxe
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3500
Mem - 1GB (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS TWINX XLPT DDR400)
Vid - Nvidia GeForce 6800GT
HD - 2 x Maxtor 80GB SATA 7200 RPM
DVD - Lite On 16x +/- RW Dual Layer
CD - Lite On 52x32x52 CD-RW

First the case came with two case fans, one 120mm exhaust and one 80mm intake. I would like to replace these with some good led fans.

The AMD processor came with its own heatsink and cooler. Under normal running condidtions the CPU temp is around 38C. I would also like to mod this with a colored LED cooler but do not want to run the risk of frying the CPU.

Any suggestions on cooling the RAM and/or the HD's? Is this necessary?
Last edited by rogermoss on Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

you don't need to cool the RAM.... to me thats just an attempt by thewse cooling comp[anies to suck more money out of you. The included heatspreaders do a fine job.
As to cooling, I use and highly recommend the Thermalright XP-12, but you could even use the XP-90, which is just a bit smaller. Top onew of those with an LED fan and you should be extremely happy......unless you want to go with water, then you throw some black lights in your case and really have a bad ass setup.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

capper5016 wrote:you don't need to cool the RAM.... to me thats just an attempt by thewse cooling comp[anies to suck more money out of you. The included heatspreaders do a fine job.
As to cooling, I use and highly recommend the Thermalright XP-12, but you could even use the XP-90, which is just a bit smaller. Top onew of those with an LED fan and you should be extremely happy......unless you want to go with water, then you throw some black lights in your case and really have a bad ass setup.
What he said^^^ LOL
any of thermalright's s939 coolers are great and you won't be disappointed. As for putting an LED fan on it, I would only suggest THIS as most LED fans are not made for superior cooling/airflow, just show. I have that exact fan on a thermalight cooler and it does quite well :)

HDD or RAM cooling is definately not necessary, just make sure your case has good airflow and wou'll be all set :)