Ultimate MAME machine...

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Ultimate MAME machine...

Post by smack323 »

not a big deal, not to get off topic. but I know you were looking for some cheap options for folding. if you do have a PCIe slot you could use your MAME to fold. You would just need to add the video card and prob a wireless adaptor of some sort.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

smack323 wrote:not a big deal, not to get off topic. but I know you were looking for some cheap options for folding. if you do have a PCIe slot you could use your MAME to fold. You would just need to add the video card and prob a wireless adaptor of some sort.
Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I am thinking I need to update some of my hardware around the house. The Mame box was put together mostly with stuff I had laying around the house. I may give my wife an upgrade though, cause I think hers is an old Athlon setup with onboard video.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I happen to have a pic from the construction phase on this PC. I left that back section open for easy access. The PC and sub sit down on that big area at the bottom of the cabinet.
IMG_0822.gif
IMG_0822.gif (102.59 KiB) Viewed 29727 times
~Bertrand Russell
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

i suppose you could get a cheap MB with a PCI-e slot. If you got that 9600gso nate wrote about i bet you could get it all for under $100 after the rebate. Just have to be sure all your old parts work with it.

again nicely done machine- it looks very well built
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

smack323 wrote:i suppose you could get a cheap MB with a PCI-e slot. If you got that 9600gso nate wrote about i bet you could get it all for under $100 after the rebate. Just have to be sure all your old parts work with it.
That's kind what I'm thinking. I have a built-in patch panel in one of the garage walls. So I could just plug it right into the network. Probably something that I wouldn't leave running in the summer though.
~Bertrand Russell
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

I ended up going with this sound setup.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 2.1%201255

when I got home last night i cranked up the sound on the 2.1 system that came with my old gateway a few years back.. not the best sound but acceptible for this set up. I think this will sound better than the OEM crap gateway sent. If not I can always get a powered subwoofer down the line.

Sporg- i was looking at the pic of yours again. Have you thought about painting the outside of the monitor to match your cabinet?
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

smack323 wrote:Sporg- i was looking at the pic of yours again. Have you thought about painting the outside of the monitor to match your cabinet?
You know, I have gone back and forth with that. At the time I bought the TV I had a heck of a time finding one to meet all of my criteria. I settled on one that was silver. My original idea was to design an overlay that would basically cover the entire opening where the TV is and just let you see the glass and maybe give access to the power button and remote sensor. Then I thought about painting the TV (as you suggested). What I really care about more than the TV color though is the layout of the deck. I have the rollerball too high, so you smack your hand into the TV when you play golden tee. I think at this point if I do anything else to it I will redesign the control deck. But who knows, I may get a wild hair some weekend and pull the TV out and paint it. :mrgreen:

Cool on those speakers, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
~Bertrand Russell
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

well i am getting a little impatient. I didnt feel like waiting another week to take a part the MAME computer i built thats folding right now. So i decided to use all the extra parts left over from building that one to make the MAME computer.. does that make sense? I'll take out the video card next week sometime.. buh bye little folder :(

Ripping apart the case.

Image Image

And some rubber diamond plate for the keyboard drawer.

Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Redneck meet geek... dude! I love that diamond plate!!!! I may actually add some to the lower-front to keep toes from tearing it up. Where did you find that stuff?
~Bertrand Russell
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

my buddy works at a place they build out trucks with computers and cameras for checking out sewerlines- everything i have has come from scraps from his job.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

this was great timing for the folding contest. I am hoping I win something. That way once the MAME is finished, I'll still have a 9600 to fold with. I am having problems getting the wireless adaptor working on the MAME computer so the team will be losing some points from the 8600. :cry: - i am going to have to start another thread about this wireless problem - hopefully someone can help solve it.

*** edit- well it seems like the mother board went bad. I am going ot have to see what i can find to replace it. - its always something.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

well i picked this up for a measly $32 on ebay.. it should do the trick and get things back on track
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=017

hopefully when i reinstall XP i will be able to get the wireless adaptor working.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

ok, almost finished. I didnt have my camara with me for this last part of the build. I will get some more pics when I can. I just snapped this with my phone so its not to good looking. Mostly just need to do the finishing work and mount the speakers. I was worried about the picture moving while playing. I am happy to report that it is stable. We had some pretty heated matches of Mortal Combat and Street Fighter and didnt notice any movement of the screen. This picture is a 120" screen.

Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Sweet! Glad you got it up and running!!! 120" of retro gaming goodness! :supz:
~Bertrand Russell
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

mounting the speakers..

the system mounted to the shelving

tonight I am going to be painting the inside black. I also need to bring the shelf with the computer on it inside to connect to the internet. I cant get the wireless adaptor to connect to my router for some reason. So I just need a hard line to activate XP before my 30days is up.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Nice job on the speaker cut-outs, that looks very good. I also like the tray you made yourself for the motherboard/stuff. Looks like she's coming along nicely.
~Bertrand Russell
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

intake fan for the projector.. that thing gets hot..

this is where the projector shoots out of. It will have a flip down cover- working on that at the moment. the exhast fan is on the front of the projector so it should work nicley

Here is a top view- I will be putting cup holders in the area above the controller. I am also goint to paint the top a gloss black so it all matches better.

volume control - again hopefully the gloss black paint will help blend this better.

if you look at this last picture you can see the computer will be inside a sealed area(when the access door is shut). I have a fan blowing above the motherboard but it will basically be blowing hot air around. My friend thinks i should port a hole from the computer area to the projector area to give the heat a place to go. Does anyone think it would get to hot otherwise? Idealy I want to put an exhasut fan in that area but that is not an option at the moment. There is one hard drive, and P4 2.8ghz CPU no video card at the moment.

DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Does the PSU even have an exhaust vent?

It's not good to have it (or the system) without somewhere for fresh air to get in and heat to escape.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I would definitely try to figure out how to get some fresh air in there.
smack323 wrote:Here is a top view- I will be putting cup holders in the area above the controller.
Good call on the cup holders, when I redesign mine it will have cup holders as well.
~Bertrand Russell
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

going to flush mount the xarcade controller? looks good so far!