Acrylic Case Questions

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
MoldyBread
Legit User
Legit User

Acrylic Case Questions

Post by MoldyBread »

I thought that the prices on the Acrylic Cubes Cases were outragous, so Im thinking about jsut building one myself :) , so Im wondering, what is a really good glue that can hold these walls together? Im not so sure silicone will hold, seeing what it did to my windows lol!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

your going to be needing a high quality epoxy, that dry's clear.

but I would just buy the case, Acrylic is not as easy to work with as you think nor is it cheap, the last time I checked the cost of 3/16 inch thick 2ft x 2ft acrylic was about $85us. was going to make a R/C truck chassis out of it.

If you do it invest in a good set of drill bits, have good a fine tooth blade for your bandsaw and get a bunch of wet/dry sand paper 1000-3000 grits. to wet sand the cut edges, start at the 1k and worj up to the 3k.

I have been told you can heat polish the cut sides with a porpane torch, basicly melting the saw cuts, but not sure how this will affect the plastic. may cause it to fog or bubble if your not carfull.
MoldyBread
Legit User
Legit User

Post by MoldyBread »

well maybe i could just go with some Plexi Glass
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

same steps for working plexi, have fun in your building.

remember messure twice, cut once.
MoldyBread
Legit User
Legit User

Post by MoldyBread »

lol yeah, thanks again
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

Look in your local yellow pages for plastics manufacturing. Its been a while but I used to work at a plastics shop and the glue we used was a solvent that melts the plax and bonds it in a clear bond...no actual glue used at all. If you find a small shop they will cut and plane the pieces for you and all you do is assemble. They would probably even give you a little of the "glue" to do it with.
Merlin
Windows 10 64 bit home on both
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU