Scratch Build: The Ultimate Computer Desk (56k Warning!!)

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Scratch Build: The Ultimate Computer Desk (56k Warning!!

Post by DJ Tucker »

this desk is coming along nice from what i see. and as major has said you will need to get crossflow as that wood as it warms up will cause the whole system to heat up. maybe not much but then let find out once it's done and ready :)
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
ultimatedesk
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by ultimatedesk »

Major_A wrote:Looks like you need to get crossflow in there. That wood is going to insulate a lot of heat.
DJ Tucker wrote:this desk is coming along nice from what i see. and as major has said you will need to get crossflow as that wood as it warms up will cause the whole system to heat up. maybe not much but then let find out once it's done and ready :)
Oh, you two - don't you two get all twisted up about this ;) ;) Got it resolved - check it out below!

So, now that the hardware has been installed, I can proceed to managing those cables a little. I first cut a quick piece out of 1/4" hardboard with a few strategic holes

Already much more to my liking. Time to place the new fans with their new mounting system

Ok - with both "plates" in place, I can cut the appropriate holes in the door and go ahead and install!

Woohoo, that blue furnace filter sure looks out of place eh? Everything fits, it's nice, snug, and square, so I went ahead and added a bunch of closed cell foam

Another view of the almost finished right-hand cabinet old i5 system

*Testing*

I've been using this cabinet setup for a little while now, and I'm happy to report that the temperatures are really quite nice. Because I've "sealed" the air intake portion, all of the intake air is coming through the blue furnace filter. You can literally feel suction if you place your hand in front of the filter. There is a massive amount of air coming out of the CPU hole, as well as the open PCI slots, power supply exhaust, and the half inch of space between the door and the "non-intake-area". (You can see in the previous photos, I did not put foam around the entire door perimeter).

So far it has been idling at ambient (23-25) and at maximum, just under 50 degrees Celcius.

I can hear the fans running - they are louder than all of the hard drives spinning up. I am going to get a small fan controller and get them down to the minimum speed while maintaining these current temperatures (There is a very large amount of air running through the case).

*To Do*

I have clearly got to find something to either replace the blue furnace filter, or cover it up with something a little more visually appealing.

Also, I need something to cover the CPU exhaust area. It will need to match whatever I do for the furnace filter area.

'Til next time!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

You could always pickup some window screen mesh. Install it into a frame that fits in the opening on the side of the desk. That way when you need to knock the dust off the frame comes out in one piece. Just a thought.
ultimatedesk
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by ultimatedesk »

Major_A wrote:You could always pickup some window screen mesh. Install it into a frame that fits in the opening on the side of the desk. That way when you need to knock the dust off the frame comes out in one piece. Just a thought.
Thanks Major_A - that's a great idea. Even just the way screen doors are made is giving me a good idea as well. Thanks for that again

On the other end of the desk, things have been progressing along nicely as well - had this beauty cut for me

Placing it in the hole, it sits just a little bit too large. The original square I cut out was about a millimetre smaller on one end than the other

So I took out the trusty chisel and did a bit of shaving!

There we go!

Mm, starting to look so awesome!

The foam fan-holder will have to say bye-bye on this side, just like the one in the right-hand cabinet. Doesn't quite look right.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Holy crap! Are you going to have two computers and the server board mounted in the desk?
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

seriously i want that desk please [-o< but then if you was to sell it how much would it cost haha :roll: also what is the power/wattage reading when all is up and running together :)
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

shouldn't the power supply fan be a intake fan? I really don't know how your circuit breaker is going to handle all that power. I am also concerned that your desk/rig is going to run very hot... Looks really good! I would hate to have to clean the desk/rig. Good luck with that! :lol:
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

looks fantastic- hopefully your not moving anytime soon.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

that is for sure the "ultimate computer desk"!

Pro job all around....

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's