Scratch Build: The Ultimate Computer Desk (56k Warning!!)

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Scratch Build: The Ultimate Computer Desk (56k Warning!!

Post by Major_A »

Congrats on the SSD. I hope they aren't compromising your product to somehow incorporate their logo into it.

That gel stain in the last picture is looking good. I like the color and the gloss/shine it has to it. Reminds me of some highend hardwood flooring.
ultimatedesk
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Some More Hardware

Post by ultimatedesk »

Major_A wrote:Congrats on the SSD. I hope they aren't compromising your product to somehow incorporate their logo into it.

That gel stain in the last picture is looking good. I like the color and the gloss/shine it has to it. Reminds me of some highend hardwood flooring.
Thanks Major_A - they made me tattoo the Kingston logo on my forehead. I figure, hey, it's a sweet SSD, this is totally worth it..

Heh, naw, Kingston is very cool - they get a good honorable mention, and they get to help me make this a truly fantastic project ;)

And yes, thanks for the comments on the stain, I'm particularly fond of it as well. I hope I can replicated it easily on the actual finished piece!

Sorry about the lack of updates everyone, it's not that I haven't been working on the desk much, but it's more that I've been using the camera a lot (You know.. kittens) and I haven't had time to sit down and sort through all the photos, re-size, crop, etc for some real proper updates.

I've had this update sitting on the back burner for a little while now and I've been meaning to squeeze in it somewhere. I had been talking with some folks at Danger Den because I was looking at their motherboard trays and I/O panels, and they've decided to sponsor me!

Big thanks go out to Danger Den, as these are critical components required for a professional end result - you've all seen the mangled results of the cases I tore up earlier in the project.

http://www.dangerden.com

Everything came very nicely packed - not much loose play, and plenty of foam to absorb any shipping issues.

I had these PSU support brackets custom made:

I sent them a higher resolution image of this, that I threw together in Sketchup:

Also included in this little shipment were some momentary switches for power and reset. (These are really popular these days, aren't they?)

And some real nifty motherboard trays:

All the acrylic is 1/2" clear - I will leave them wrapped up until the project is close to completion. With these parts -finally- settled, I can cut some holes in the cabinets and actually put them together -for real- !!

Stay tuned, I'll sit down this weekend and sort through the next round of updates ;)
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I like the power and reset buttons.

Who cut the acrylic for you?

What are you planning on installing in this beast? Or are you waiting until it's done to order the parts? I've seen projects where they order the parts and a year later their done. So they have a sweet case/desk with outdated hardware.
ultimatedesk
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

IO Slot Cutting

Post by ultimatedesk »

Major_A wrote:I like the power and reset buttons.

Who cut the acrylic for you?

What are you planning on installing in this beast? Or are you waiting until it's done to order the parts? I've seen projects where they order the parts and a year later their done. So they have a sweet case/desk with outdated hardware.
Danger Den cut the acrylic for me. I know what you mean about outdating hardware. I've been working on this project for 6 months already! I will likely wait until the desk portion is actually done before I order / save up any money for the hardware.

So - it's been sometime since I've posted an update - apologies, things have been very busy lately.

With the parts from Danger Den having arrived, I could now move on to some more specific details with both of the cabinets that will contain the computers.

Once again, I started with a test fitting, this time, it was a very accurate fitting, requiring quite a bit of sanding and fiddling around to get as close to the final product as possible.

I then placed some test parts for fitting, and traced some outlines on the wood. The motherboard tray was placed on some thin strips of packing foam that I cut up, to help isolate any vibration from the CPU Heatsink.

Installed some new blades on the jigsaw, put my biggest drill bit in the drill, and went to town!

After doing the rough cut with the jigsaw, I took out the router and free-handed with a straight bit to smooth out the edges.

The semi-finished air intake for the left-hand cabinet:

The power supply rough cut:

I decided that the PSU bolts will need a little more clearance around the screw holes.

The I/O Shield cut out was a bit tricky to measure, but I think I did a pretty decent job:

And a final shot from above and below:

Next update, I'll have pics of actual assembly of the left hand cabinet, and then more cutting, and biscuit joining on the right-hand cabinet.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Man you are making some nice cuts with your router. Kudos. Wish I had the money and someone to teach me proper woodworking. I once tried to build a speaker stand out of spare wood and it was a giant disaster. No personal injuries though, thank God.

See that old Socket A board you kept was for a reason. I can't manage to throw out old working motherboards and processors myself.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

Nice job!

that router bit cabinet is a nice touch, looks like it came right out of a vendor display! :)

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
ultimatedesk
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Left Cabinet Assembly

Post by ultimatedesk »

Major_A wrote:Man you are making some nice cuts with your router. Kudos. Wish I had the money and someone to teach me proper woodworking. I once tried to build a speaker stand out of spare wood and it was a giant disaster. No personal injuries though, thank God.

See that old Socket A board you kept was for a reason. I can't manage to throw out old working motherboards and processors myself.
Thanks Major_A - it's all about patience! (At least for me!) - and that's a Socket 478 if I'm not mistaken ;) ;) I've got a pile of old motherboards as well - never know when a friend or family member will need a basic machine to browse around!
Darkstar wrote:Nice job!

that router bit cabinet is a nice touch, looks like it came right out of a vendor display! :)

Thanks Darkstar - the bit cabinet is pretty sweet eh? I got the router and bits used from a retired vet who was losing his eyesight, gave me a really great deal!

It's been a while, but I can assure you, progress is still moving forward with the Ultimate Computer Desk!

I finally got around to assembling the left-hand cabinet - here it is, all glued and clamped together. It's a really solid unit - the dado cuts lined up really well, and the structure is rock solid.

Here I am doing a mock-up of the right-hand cabinet. This one was a little trickier to put together. There is a pretty specific order of assembly, otherwise, you're left with a piece that just doesn't want to fit properly.

Some outlines for the motherboard I/O and power supply

I remember mentioning that I free-handed the holes with the router for the left-hand cabinet. I decided to play a safer route for the right-hand cabinet.

I took a piece of wood, lined it up with my straight edge, and ran my router on top of the wood with a straight bit - this game me a perfect "stencil". What I can do then, is take the stencil, line up the edge with a line that I've drawn on the target piece, place a straight edge behind the stencil, clamp down the straight edge, remove the stencil, and run my router across the straight edge for a straight, accurate line.

Wow, that was a mouthful.

And the end product:

And then I made a pretty huge mistake...

Here is the suspect:

Bam. Can you guess why this was a bad idea?

ultimatedesk
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Right Cabinet Assembly

Post by ultimatedesk »

Holy moly, I'm really sorry for the lack of updates folks - I've been sick for quite a while and the weather has been miserable so I haven't had much time to work on the desk. Apparently I had cedar poisoning! Wonderful!

Anyways - back on track!

Those of you who guessed it right - yes, I shouldn't have made the hole in the first place. I don't know what I was thinking. This is the right-hand cabinet.

Whoops!

Here's the biscuit joiner I was using. It worked pretty well for what it is. The tricky part was determining the order of which pieces/faces/sides to glue first and how to keep it all from falling apart before completion.

Here's the left-hand cabinet all dried and ready for some trim

And voila, my erm.. elegant clamping solution (I need to grab some cauls!)

Hope you enjoy! Rest assured, this project WILL BE FINISHED! Just.. mm, I don't really know when. I'm moving in a month and a half, so all the staining/sanding will have to be done, at a minimum.

Take care!
ultimatedesk
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Staining the Desk Surface

Post by ultimatedesk »

This part of the project took a better part of a month. There was a lot of sanding, waiting, and sweating as I put on each thin layer of polyurethane on the desk surface.

Here it is at the start of the phase - what a mess!

You can see there was still sanding to do from when I put in the wood filler back in... November!

All cleaned up, ready to rock the stain. It was starting to get nice as well so it was time to lube up the 'ol bike chain as well!

Part way through the first coat

Note that this is the bottom of the desk surface. I did this intially without any kind of pre-stain or wood treatment to see if I could get away with it.

I actually noticed a significant amount of dark spots and uneveness, so for the top of the desk, and for all future staining, I went with a pre-stain, and two coats of Old Masters Gel Stain. Here is the desk surface approximately a month later with around 8 coats of polyurethane on top. It will be getting a good ol fashion rubbing out in another month from now once it has fully cured.

Have a good weekend everyone!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Looking good, really like the finish on it. Keep up the good work!
ultimatedesk
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Prepping the Upper Desk

Post by ultimatedesk »

Major_A wrote:Looking good, really like the finish on it. Keep up the good work!
Thanks Major_A!

So, with the main desk surface out of the way, it was time to start focusing on the top shelf portion, which, at this point, hadn't been sanded, cut perfectly, or assembled. Here were all the pieces required.

A quick mock up:

A few tests with the biscuit joiner to make sure I was aligned properly:

I couldn't get it exactly in the center - the bottom of the joiner is a bit concave and it made lining it up a little difficult. The tool is generally used to join boards end to end, so there wasn't really any facility for on-face joining like this.

Assembly and glue up time:

Enjoy! You can never have too many clamps you know? I couldn't continue on doing the side pods until this stuff dried up first.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Wow...very nice so far!
Joe
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

FZ1 wrote:Wow...very nice so far!
+1
Looking forward to the finished product!
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
ultimatedesk
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Top Shelf Assembly

Post by ultimatedesk »

camaroguy1998 wrote:
+1
Looking forward to the finished product!
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments!

With the first phase of the top shelf all solid and dried, I could continue on to the two side pods. Here's the initial mockup.

Notice the pencil lines for the biscuits I'll be installing.

Those biscuits are so dark and moody... lol!

Aaand, some gratuitous clamping shots. Like that extra-long setup? Yeah, that worked this time, but I don't recommend it. It wasn't too stable, but there wasn't really anything else I could clamp on to for that end-pressure required.

Mmmm glue.

So that's it for this update, I know it's a pretty simple one, but hey, it's one more phase done. Just needs to have some trim stuck on and then staining!

Have a good weekend!
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kappage »

Not to criticise your work, done a fair bit of wood working, aswell as my brother. Why didnt you use a biscuit cutter, and put biscuits into all of the joints to make them stronger?

But other than that Looks Sweet!

***Edt***
Saw some biscuits in the later photos. Did you use them on every joint?
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

Looking good!

Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

fantastic job and loving the systems going into it. so now all i need is for you to give me your address and all will be good :lol: but seriously you got one smart mind as that must of took so time to come up with the idea and now the time put it all together. again congrats. can't wait for finished product and some benchmarks :)
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
skier

Post by skier »

Coming along great by the looks 8)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
ultimatedesk
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by ultimatedesk »

kappage wrote:Not to criticise your work, done a fair bit of wood working, aswell as my brother. Why didnt you use a biscuit cutter, and put biscuits into all of the joints to make them stronger?

But other than that Looks Sweet!

***Edt***
Saw some biscuits in the later photos. Did you use them on every joint?
Heh, thanks kappage, and yes, I used biscuit joints for the two cabinets as well as the top shelf. I did use screws and glue for the drawers, however.
Darkstar wrote:Looking good!

Thanks Darkstar!
DJ Tucker wrote:fantastic job and loving the systems going into it. so now all i need is for you to give me your address and all will be good :lol: but seriously you got one smart mind as that must of took so time to come up with the idea and now the time put it all together. again congrats. can't wait for finished product and some benchmarks :)
Hehee, thanks DJ Tucker, I live at 52913abcdefg Alaska lane, you can't miss it ;)

Ok, so it's been a little while since an update eh?

I've been busy, sorry folks, life seems to speed up in the summertime!

As a peace offering, here are the kiddo's, at about 4 months old now!

And, back to the desk!

I had a bunch of solid maple cut into more 1/4" strips so I could finish doing the trim on the top shelf and the cabinets.

My trusty compound mitre saw - got it reconditioned at a bargain place for like 60 dollars, and it's been pretty reliable for a number of years now. It's loud as all heck though!

And, my favorite part - clamping up!

And, since there was nowhere to place clamps in between this area, I had to improvise with a small block of wood!

ultimatedesk
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Staining Stuff

Post by ultimatedesk »

After the trim was glued on and then sanded flush, I proceeded with the staining and poly

Looks good, eh?

I also finally decided to buckle down and build myself a quick rig to store all my clamps. Since I'm moving soon, it'll also make it easier to move them to the new place! Nice lap joints eh!!

I proceeded to the cabinet drawers, where I finally sanded off the wood filler that's been attached for weeks (months?)

Lined up the drawer faces, glued them on (Was going to screw them on after, from behind. Lol)

And put a bit of weight on top..

Walked away for a bit, and realized... maybe it was a bad idea to glue them on first! Uh oh!

I decided that it might actually be a lot easier to line up the drawer faces if I attached them AFTER I had attached the drawers to the drawer slides, to I ripped em off.

So, next on the list - staining the actual drawers!

Pre-stain on!

Mmm, they look so good

And, poly of course

Done!

And just so ya know, it really did basically take a month just to finish the top shelf and the drawers... more to come soon!