Toasty UV - UV Light Burns Up in PC Case

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Toasty UV - UV Light Burns Up in PC Case

Post by Apoptosis »

If you leave your UV lights on when you aren't in the room or are not around you might want to think twice. A friend of mine sent me this image and said he had 4" flames coming off the burning plastic inside his case, which is a Corsair Obsidian 800D. Not a case you want a fire to start inside!
uv-light.jpg
uv-light.jpg (93.44 KiB) Viewed 11004 times
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Toasty UV - UV Light Burns Up in PC Case

Post by bubba »

That's impressive, I have never seen one do that before. Did it short on the case? or just flat out fail?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

that looks painful. thankfully i dont use ccfls
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

It was a Link Depot UV Cold Cathode Light Kit

From the owner...
Looking at the system this morning though with some daylight on it there's some burn marks in back of the optical drive and the SATA power connector is all charred up.
Thing is the SATA cable right next to the SATA power is fine except where it melted with the UV tube. So really not sure where the fire originated. The part that had a flame was the UV Tube and the SATA cables melted onto it. I need a CSI to take a look at this for root cause!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

AHH!! :shock:
I bought a couple sticks of LED case lights the other day...this may actually make me use those instead now.
:lol:
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit