Adventures in custom 6800GT cooling (Lots-o-Pics!!!!)

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

any update? hehe I wanna see what the end result for this is. That is going to be one nice looking and very functional cooler.

What is the total cost and time invested?

Oh and Congrats for joining the 1000 post club ;)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Vstrom wrote: No offense taken, this is what the forums are for :)
dito :)

your right sbohdan buddy, a good mod will get better temps, can be cheaper and you know you done it......the latter being the best reason 8)
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

well, I also realize that extreme mods are not for everybody and they also tend to have other drawbacks (in my case the SI-97 mod is - let's say: not exactly SLI friendly LOL)
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Apoptosis wrote:Oh and Congrats for joining the 1000 post club ;)
I just noticed, so did I....... It only just goes to show what a great place this is :)

sbohdan your next.....
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Hmmm, total cost eh? One of my goals for this project was to kep it under $30 (comparable to the Zalman VF700 AlCu) but I haven't tallied it all up yet. Guess I'll go do that!
$4.28 for Screws/Nuts/Washers
$18 shipped for two of the Xeon copper heatsinks off e-bay
$13 shipped for the fan
-----
$35.28 total shipped

So I guess I'm a little over my budget, but I guess if you count in shipping for the Zalman, it would be about the same. Especially if you already have a 92mm or 80mm fan (which most people do).

So overall, if you don't include shipping, then it is a pretty reasonably priced mod. But if you factor in the cost of my time, it is going to be quite a few hours. But then if you factor in the fun, ecitement, and adventure of the project, then I would say it is definately worth it! :mrgreen:

Right now I'm just waiting for my girlfriend to get out of work and come over to start the drilling work! :)
...stay tuned!
EDIT: WOO HOO!! 1000 post club here too \:D/
Last edited by gvblake22 on Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

yeah congrats Blake and Ken. 1000 posts- wow. I'm still way behind. I think that Paul (killswitch) has the record in post/time since join though :)
he joined about the same time as me and got 3x the posts as me, and I thought I was pretty active :shock:

I think people like you are the backbone of this forum.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

@ gvblake......were waiting......LOL

@sbohdan....you are what keeps us here.....LOL
How's your case mod working out?

without killswitch LR forums wouldn't be the same.....he's part of the family!

I'm thinking of doing a volt mod on my x800 (a real mod)
Then something for the cooling.... :finga:

If I do something, it won't be for a while....cash is a bit low.....look @ the sig......all that was paid for in the last few mths :( (except the ram :P )
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

gvblake22 wrote: Right now I'm just waiting for my girlfriend to get out of work and come over to start the drilling work! :)
...stay tuned!
drilling work? I hope it's not what I think it is! we are all waiting here for the mod to complete and then you do the drilling work with your girlfriend :finga:
happy drilling :P and then get down to work on the mod because we are all dying to see the outcome :drinkers:
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

sbohdan wrote:
gvblake22 wrote: Right now I'm just waiting for my girlfriend to get out of work and come over to start the drilling work! :)
...stay tuned!
drilling work? I hope it's not what I think it is! we are all waiting here for the mod to complete and then you do the drilling work with your girlfriend :finga:
happy drilling :P and then get down to work on the mod because we are all dying to see the outcome :drinkers:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I was waiting for someone with a dirty mind to say something like that :P

...patience young grasshopper :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

gvblake22 wrote:
sbohdan wrote:
...stay tuned!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I was waiting for someone with a dirty mind to say something like that :P

...patience young grasshopper :finga:
So it won't be done by christmas? Or do you do a half ass'd job? LOL
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

kenc51 wrote:@ gvblake......were waiting......LOL

@sbohdan....you are what keeps us here.....LOL
How's your case mod working out?

without killswitch LR forums wouldn't be the same.....he's part of the family!

I'm thinking of doing a volt mod on my x800 (a real mod)
Then something for the cooling.... :finga:

If I do something, it won't be for a while....cash is a bit low.....look @ the sig......all that was paid for in the last few mths :( (except the ram :P )
thanks man. I love my case mod. it lowered my temps on the card and even the CPU (only 2C) but it's not over yet. I'm getting the airduct for the CPU and expect to lower my temps @ full load. it also looks pretty cool (at least thats what my friends telling me)
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

kenc51 wrote: without killswitch LR forums wouldn't be the same.....he's part of the family!
Wow, all too kind Ken, lol 8)

But I still think you got me a little on the tech and network end though, lol :mrgreen:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Nahh you have me on the network side, trust me..... (hope the boss isn't reading this 8-[ )
Happy holidays BTW :partyman:
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Happy Holidays to you as well Ken (if any apply, lol :) )

And how could I have you on networking when you work for an ISP (I think that's right?).....I mean you're around it all the time, I'm just taking a curriculum for Cisco stuff.......I dunno, maybe I do, but I don't like to brag, and you always gotta take into consideration experience as well, it's all good 8)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

All I do is tech support...that means prove connectivity then goodbye (esp. with corp custs, we don't touch lans)

All I know about LAN's etc. is from what I read......PLS. don't take me for anyone who knows networking.....I get that enough in work because I "know" computers LOL (mayby that's why I got the job :-s )
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

It's amazing how you can get a job like that with related experience not directly involved with that specific field. I know it's that way here in SC because a buddy of mine got really good with building PC's, demonstrated that skill to QS/1, and got a job there in support/help desk. Entry level job as it is, he got in, and down here in SC there are very VERY few tech jobs like that, which is why I plan on moving somewhere like Charlotte or Greensboro, NC or St. Louis even. I just have a little knowledge in everything, with direct experience in PC troubleshooting, diagnosis, and repair.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

For me it was/is luck in a way....except I don't work directly for my company....So in a way I'm a temp....except my contract expires @ 55yrs :)

I don't get paid well @ all.....basically half of my calls are wrong no's....half the day i speak to home cust's who haven't a clue and personally blame me for their pc not working. I used to work as a security guard, in a meat factory etc. I had a chance to get a crappy tech support job, then that lead to this one....

IT is an growing market in Ireland....you wouldn't believe how much Dublin is expanding!
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Well, tonight has just turned into one big steaming pile of . . . .
Just about everything that could have gone wrong, did.
First, as I was drilling the holes in the bottom of the heatsink, the drill bit broke off inside the hole! So I had to spend like 20 minutes trying to get the f#$%er out. So I finally got the holes drilled. Just made a copy of the stock backplate and used it as a template to drill the holes:

Then I had to hack apart the fins over the holes to make room for the screw head to go through. This proved much more difficult than it seemed.

So after I was done making the heatsink look about as bad as it could, I found I had to cut the edges off to clear the RAM and the fan connector. This just made it look even more wonderful:

But, fortunately, one thing managed to go right. THE HOLES LINED UP!!!!!

But yeah, needless to say I don't think I will be finishing this project before christmas seeing as I had one hurdle after another and I have to go to my mom's house for the rest of the weekend for christmas.

My girlfriend I don't think had a very good time. It is the middle of winter here and our shop is not heated, so it was pretty cold. She basically just got cold and bored watching me swear and cuss at a piece of copper. I think she was expecting something better (and I'll admit, I was too), but it was just problem after problem!

Anyway, enough rambling...
I'll leave you with a picture of my dad's workshop. It's prettymuch a modder's paradise!! :mrgreen:
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

wish I had a crappy tech job, beats the hell out of a job in a manufacturing plant working like a dog :(
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

killswitch83 wrote:wish I had a crappy tech job, beats the hell out of a job in a manufacturing plant working like a dog :(
being there done that....fell your pain...(seriously!)

@ gvblake...It WILL be worth it....enjoy the holidays.....