my case mod

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

my case mod

Post by sbohdan »

first I wanted to post the pics in the thermalright SI-97 thread but then again this is another mod. my intentions were less for the looks rather then improving cooling in my case. I wanted a 12cm fan that would blow cold air on my modded video card. the mod fom the side is so big that a 12cm fan is just right to cover it. the smaller fan is blowing air to the CPU cooler and two will be connected with a duct later. so here are the pics:

first I marked the place where the fans will be (used when cutting out the holes in the glass), then proceeded cutting out the side panel

I had the glass cut by a friend of mine who owed me a favor :) , then I glued the glass inside the cut out side panel. I used silicon glue for that. I also used silicone glue for attaching the fans from inside.

when cutting out the side panel, I made a little design by making a little cut for the bottom of the 12cm fan. the hole in the glass is aligned with the cut.

here you can see how the 12cm fan is covering the cooling job for the modded video card.

this is how it looks finished. well, actually there is still one thing left: getting and installing the duct, which will channel air directly to the CPU cooler. I will post a pic when its done.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

looks good!!! how are you keeping the fans on ?? the ones on the inside?
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Man your GFX card is getting better cooling than the cpu!
What temps are your getting, and what were they B4?
Also can you OC any higher? (I know you said the PSU is holding you back but?)
It must sound like a jet engine when starting up!

=D>

I'll post some pics of my rigs soon, you'll see why I'm not into case mods.......and it shows LOL
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

bigblockmatt wrote:looks good!!! how are you keeping the fans on ?? the ones on the inside?
I also used silicone glue for attaching the fans from inside.
see through silicon which I used pressure on to have no bubbles of air underneath.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

kenc51 wrote:Man your GFX card is getting better cooling than the cpu!
What temps are your getting, and what were they B4?
Also can you OC any higher? (I know you said the PSU is holding you back but?)
It must sound like a jet engine when starting up!
the temps on the gpu at idle were after the first mod of the card 26.5C at idle and 42C at full load. when I added the memory heatsinks (that are touching the base of the SI-97) temps went up to 32C/46C because the heatsink was also helping to dissipate the heat from the memory not just the GPU. now that I added the 12cm fan temps went down to 28.4C/44C idle and full load respectively. the added 80mm fan for the CPU only lowered the temp by 2C at idle and 4C (from 54 to 50) at full load (running F@H and doom3 at the same time utilizes the full capacity of my prescott with HT) but after I add the duct connecting the fan and the CPU cooler, I expect additional improvement. the loudest in my system would be the CPU cooler (asus starice blue), but it's running @ 60% (adjusted in bios) and is at the quarter setting so it's running pretty slow and quiet. the other fans are all running at 5V instead of 12V so the whole system is very quiet and I'm satisfied with the cooling.
Last edited by sbohdan on Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Nice job on the window, it realy looks like a clean job.