Built Myself a Desk (56k warning)

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Built Myself a Desk (56k warning)

Post by hainer36 »

I got sick of this desk and the little space it had

so i did some work on SketchUp 5 and voila
not too great so i did a revision
and yet again, i wasnt happy with it so back to the drawing board

and thats what i stuck with. with a budget of $0 (its CDN, so about $-0.52 USD) i went scavaging, and found out that my bed was in fact made of wood...who woulda thought :mrgreen: , so since it was breaking down and i had a frame for another bed in the garage, i decided i can use that wood, and whatever was in the garage also.

the workspace...with some of the desk done

and after 1 day of work (really 3 or 4 hours) i got this

and here it is installed into my room, messy at first

clean after the parents dont like the mess forming

so all in all, for a technical free desk, its nice. there are a few kinks i forgot about...my chair doesnt go that high so thats why there is a pillow folded there for a boost, and yes, the mousepad is taped to the wood. on the other hand, that LCD is beautiful, and the speakers sound a little better set-up this way, and the G15, well thats one of the best parts now
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

excellent music to be listening too as well!!!!!

Very nice indeed! like they say, if you want something...well you gotta build it yourself. LOL
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Building your own is the only way to do it if you want something to fit your needs. I built my own a few years ago also, but I'm in need of a upgrade there also................. :shock:

hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hainer36 »

looks pretty good, but like you can understand, i need space for my UFO knock off, i was planning on putting it on top, but it would ruin the window having-ness
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Sweet!
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

May i ask what the program you used to model is? I could really use something to test fit and layout my mod ideas before i start hacking into cases and such.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hainer36 »

its called SketchUp5 by @Last Software

its free, but of course theres ways around it :finga: but of course im not implying anything by that except buying it of course :roll:
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

someone likes hockey

great job on the desk
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Very nice work indeed. :)

Not too long ago, someone else didn't have two dimes to rub together and built an entire computer desk form FedEx boxes. Needless to say, after doing such a good job, he went ahead and made more furniture for his apartment. :mrgreen: Here's a neat link to the idea. http://www.digibuzz.com/index.php/?m=sh ... able&id=25

It's always good to save a penny or a dime these days.
hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hainer36 »

-mogwai wrote:someone likes hockey

great job on the desk
thanks

how could you have possibly guessed that i liked hockey? i eman i am canadian, if i dont the governement will sne dme an angry letter or something :mrgreen:
topsub
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by topsub »

you going to sand it and stain it?

or just leave it
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

I built that a while ago, in my old house, for my business needs. 4 port KVM, 17" monitor, network connection for all 4 computers.

Eventually, it held the 4 client PCs, and 2 of my PCs, 1 at either end. The desk made the move to the new house, where, in a few weeks, it will become an L desk in my new office. Hook ups again for 4 client PCs, and probably my new gamer on the main part. The L portion will house my email/web PC and my DVD/part time game server linked with Synergy.

The new house also has a storage room where I will be able to house the file server, DSL modem and router in a rather large server cabinet with UPS and RackLights.[/i]
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I got bored the other weekend and decided to build a little hutch for my current dest just to have a bit more storage.................. :mrgreen:

hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hainer36 »

topsub wrote:you going to sand it and stain it?

or just leave it
i was going to paint it black (because of the mismatched wood), but atm, its gonna be hard to get it outside, and summer is winding down, and im on midnights now-a-days, so i need alot of sleep.

so its gonna stay that way for a bit. And a few people, unsure of whom, have taken liberties and wrote "Paint me" on a few spots of the desk....im not too happy

nice work on the hutch Bio-Hazard. and i like the enormous desk there DaIceMan
=LAS=Spitfire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by =LAS=Spitfire »

Yea DaIceMan, Why such a big desk? What kind of work do you use all that space for?

Nice desk hainer! I bet the space increase is nice eh?

I like the Fedex box idea btw 8)
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

I have a couple of corp clients that I do work for. Instead of taking up space in their office while I'm working, I usually bring the PCs home and do the work here. 4 at a time, and I can do them at my leisure. 2 hours work there is 2 hours work. 2 hours work at home might take me 4-6 hours, but pays the same as if I sat there.

That's just the work bench... as I said, I'll expand that for my desk, my wife has a desk, kids PC on another desk, file server and game server will be in a cabinet in the storage room. ;)
=LAS=Spitfire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by =LAS=Spitfire »

Nice man. Yea, so you just work out of my house. Thats what my dad does, and he LOVES it. Of course my dad doesnt take apart and build computers (
:( ) but yea, he likes it.

Game server? What do you mean by that? like an actual server, server?
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

=LAS=Spitfire wrote:Game server? What do you mean by that? like an actual server, server?
yeah... I'm working on setting up a machine that I can dedicated to hosting network games (also on hamachi) for a few friends. We play battlefield2 a good bit and sometimes we like to kick back with the Unlocks123 mod and throw down. The guy that usually runs the server just starts it and leaves most of the time, so my wifes' PC becomes the server for us to play usually.
=LAS=Spitfire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by =LAS=Spitfire »

hahah yea I know how that can be. Your own server would be reallly nice to have dude. Good luck w/ it :) . Btw, you ever play America's Army? Thats my game 8)
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

naah, I've been playing BF2 (1 year, 3 days now) and I'll stick with it. I've played a few of the other new games, but for some reason, I never got into AA. Once I get my new system built, I may have to give it a shot.