5th Mod - Project Hollywood.

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

5th Mod - Project Hollywood.

Post by moon111 »

A very non-computer literate friend wanted a cheap cheap computer. I told him I'd try and build him something he could use to surf the internet and run a word processor etc. Total budget $200 Cdn.

To fit the budget, I had to beg, borrow, and ... buy parts. A mutual friend donated just the shell of a case/motherboard/cpu.

Having no plastic, I made a front using a piece of left over particle board.

The case originally used drive rails which were missing. I ended up cutting and riveting a drive cage out of a really old case I had laying around. With rails, the case didn't need access on one side. So I had to cut an access hole and used a piece of black plastic for a cover.

I painted the case black and laid out some flames. The flames were 'mist' painted on using some metalic light blue and metalic purple, which were left-overs.

With a missing side panel, and new one was made out of thin black plastic. (From a microwave door previously used in a different mod)
Since the friend's nickname is "Hollywood" I found some letters at a Tattoo website and used my dremel to engrave them on.

Not a bad deal, a custom computer with monitor, keyboard, modem, etc... all for $200.

Cost: Mod - Nil
Hardware - $200 (video card/HD/etc)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Nice looking, clean to.
skier

Post by skier »

looks awesome for the material used, the sides of the particle board could've looked better if you used some venir, it would've been smooth(unless the kid really didn't care to begin with)

hollywood came out awesome, very impressive
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

Thanks for the compliment. Been awhile since I've looked at this. A couple of things I'll mention. Halfway down the front, looks like where you'd find the power button. Nope. That's where the USB plugs went. The on/off is actually on bottom right on the side panel area. You can barely see it, it's kind of stealthed. I was going to cut a 'HOLLYWOOD' sign outta aluminum and mount it in front of the fan, but ran outta motivation. What's really wild is this thing has been running solidily, and hasn't had a single hardware or software problem.