Perforated Metal (aka Mesh)

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Perforated Metal (aka Mesh)

Post by HONkUS »

anyone know of an online retailer that sells perforated metal?
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

modders mesh is nice and all but im talking real perforated metal made by companies like McNichols or Diamond
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

http://www.mcmaster.com/

search for wire mesh
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

It's going to be pretty hard finding any place that sells anything except lage sizes and bulk orders. I ended up finding the heavy guage stuff that I'm using at a security window company here in St Louis. But I got real lucky finding it, my old bosses dad works there and I was getting the scrap for nothing. To bad the old guy retired, I'm almost out of my stock.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

that mcmaster site is great! Thnaks!
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

McMaster is a great site for just about any sort of hardware, I get a lot of my water cooling hardware there, plus their prices are pretty good as well.
mongol05
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mongol05 »

I think frozen cpu does.

http://www.frozencpu.com
Porthos
Asus M2N SLI Deluxe | Athlon 64 X2 4200+ | 2 GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | eVGA Geforce 7900 GT 256 MB
Athos
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 | Athlon 64 3000+ | 1 GB PNY PC3200 | eVGA Geforce 6800 128 MB
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

McMaster-Carr has a lot of stuff, hell their printed a catalog is 4-1/2 inches thick.

Granger is another one, but I think McMaster-Carr has better prices.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

mongol05 wrote:I think frozen cpu does.

http://www.frozencpu.com
Yah they carry the same old modders mesh, the thin junk. You'll have to go to one of the places listed above to find the real stuff if you want something strong. Modders mesh is fine for fan grills and the like, but not much else, it's to thin and weak.
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Perforated Metal (aka Mesh)

Post by FeRaL »

Dragonmodz.net sells some nice Aluminum mesh. It is realy easy to use. I did a review of it at pcapex.com a while back.

link = http://reviews.pcapex.com/modding/drago ... onmesh.php
jtleon
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jtleon »

That is an awesome bezel...Great Work Dude!!!
Regards,
jtleon
Iwill DH800 - Xeon SL74T LVs @ 3.5Ghz - Mushkin 2Gb ES @ FSB233 - Gainward 7800GS+ 512Mb
AMS 460W XPS - 100% 3D Stable to 85°F (30°C) Ambient
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

jtleon wrote:That is an awesome bezel...Great Work Dude!!!
Regards,
jtleon
Thanks, I put a lot of time and effort into doing it. All in all the Aluminum was very easy to work with, without a lot of tool work involved.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Your bezel looks fine, but I'm still of the opinion that the thin stuff is just to weak and bends way to easy, for my needs the heavy guage steel is the best solution, or at least heavier guage aluminum. I just don't like weak bendable material.

moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

Wouldn't a thinner mesh gain allot of strength if you were to 'dome' it? A flat piece of steel will bend fairly easy, but if you hammer it into a bowl shape, you could stand on it. Maybe different materials for different applications?
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

On the cheap ($), I've used older speaker grills for fan inlets/outlets. Some are really strong while others ar almost not worth the effort to use. The local Radio Shack has replacement metal screens along with the dome types too.

There are some really great perforated metals out there that are thin and can be used on cat-walks with the correct under structure frame.

Get the type that works best for your project.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

moon111 wrote:Wouldn't a thinner mesh gain allot of strength if you were to 'dome' it? A flat piece of steel will bend fairly easy, but if you hammer it into a bowl shape, you could stand on it. Maybe different materials for different applications?
The tinner stuff is stronger if domed........ :mrgreen: I won't use it, the stuff I'm using came wrom a window company that uses the stuff in high security windows. I have it on the top of my case as well and you can set anything you want on it without fear of it bending, denting or bowing............ :shock:

FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

Bio-Hazard wrote:
moon111 wrote:Wouldn't a thinner mesh gain allot of strength if you were to 'dome' it? A flat piece of steel will bend fairly easy, but if you hammer it into a bowl shape, you could stand on it. Maybe different materials for different applications?
The tinner stuff is stronger if domed........ :mrgreen: I won't use it, the stuff I'm using came wrom a window company that uses the stuff in high security windows. I have it on the top of my case as well and you can set anything you want on it without fear of it bending, denting or bowing............ :shock:

I guess my question would be is, what are you doing to your PC that requires that strong of mes on the front? Hitting it was a baseball bat? J/K of course but still a rather valid question. Unless you move a lot, I wouldn't really see too much of a need for security glass wire inserts. You case looks great by the way. I can see a need for something strong to go across the top of you case as most of it is mesh now, but for the smaller holes like the one I did in that mod, that aluminum mesh is pretty solid. If you were to damage it, chances are the entire plastic piece is FUBAR anyhow. I'm working on the front of the case and am planning on using some steel mesh from mnpctechguy.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

FeRaL wrote: I guess my question would be is, what are you doing to your PC that requires that strong of mes on the front? Hitting it was a baseball bat? J/K of course but still a rather valid question. Unless you move a lot, I wouldn't really see too much of a need for security glass wire inserts. You case looks great by the way. I can see a need for something strong to go across the top of you case as most of it is mesh now, but for the smaller holes like the one I did in that mod, that aluminum mesh is pretty solid. If you were to damage it, chances are the entire plastic piece is FUBAR anyhow. I'm working on the front of the case and am planning on using some steel mesh from mnpctechguy.
Well, I used the same mesh on all parts of the mesh to keep things looking the same.......... :lol: I also have 3 dogs and with the case on the floor it does tend to get hit with a ball from time to time when playing ball with the dogs plus a foot from children every now and then................ :shock: Another big plus with the stuff that I'm using is that it comes pre powder coated so theirs no need to paint and it will never chip, dent, scratch or rust................. :mrgreen:
purdeys
Legit User
Legit User

Post by purdeys »

yeh umm... http://www.buymetal.co.uk/?gclid=CNDh_b ... EAod2ihmgw
thats where he gets it from.. my mate just wen a bit mad ad used it.... i was a bit stunned, but wot ever he wants

Ed