amatur modding

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
id86
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

amatur modding

Post by id86 »

i want to ask something..mostly about acrylic

a) How to bend acrylic?i had read somewhere which stated that the acrylic need to be heated to bend it...so,if i want to bend acrylic at home,what tools that i need?can use candle?

b) I had seen some sites mention about UV acrylic. if i buy a piece of acrylic,then paint it with UV paint,can get same result like AC RYAN UV acrylic?

c) I want to make custom casing...want to ask,what material is the best? is it metal or alu or other material?
odie2190
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by odie2190 »

heat? dont get to close ull make it black or brown!
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

A heat gun works great for bending acrylic, it take s some pretty constant heat to make quality bends............ 8)
id86
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by id86 »

yeah,i know about the heat gun. but now im talking about the home user. i think most houses dont have the heat gun right?
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I'm a home user and a have several, they are used for a few different hobbies for both the wife and myself.
id86
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by id86 »

oh i c...my home didnt have that thing.so i have to find other way to heat the acrylic...
odie2190
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by odie2190 »

FIRE!!!!!. buy a heat gun.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

take a coat hanger and bend it straight, hold it over your stove top and get it as hot as you can, have someone hold both ends of the coat hanger with pot holders on of course and then quickly lay the acrylic over the coat hanger but be careful not to let it touch the coat hanger. After a few moments (depending on how how the coat hanger is) the acrylic will start to bend along the line of the coat hanger, after you achieve the bend you want take it away from the hanger and let it cool.

And in the name of all things sacred BE CAREFUL! (unless you want a straight line brand on you)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

What thickness acrylic is this method good up to? I *heart* ghetto mods!

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
id86
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by id86 »

HONkUS wrote:take a coat hanger and bend it straight, hold it over your stove top and get it as hot as you can, have someone hold both ends of the coat hanger with pot holders on of course and then quickly lay the acrylic over the coat hanger but be careful not to let it touch the coat hanger. After a few moments (depending on how how the coat hanger is) the acrylic will start to bend along the line of the coat hanger, after you achieve the bend you want take it away from the hanger and let it cool.

And in the name of all things sacred BE CAREFUL! (unless you want a straight line brand on you)
i really didnt get what you mean...

how hot actually necessary so that the acrylic will bend?

do u have some pic for the process u said?
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

heat gun

spend the money to do it right ;)

Mike

oh and watch how tight of a bend you do - lets jsut say *snap* is a bad sound :roll:

umm..someone i know did that, yea I knnooowww them :roll:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
id86
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by id86 »

KnightRid wrote:heat gun

spend the money to do it right ;)

Mike

oh and watch how tight of a bend you do - lets jsut say *snap* is a bad sound :roll:

umm..someone i know did that, yea I knnooowww them :roll:
actually i want to save some money to buy other stuff which more important rather than to buy the heat gun. so i have to reduce the process cost by doing it in traditional way.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

To form plexy and acrylic I have heated it up in the oven at 150* for a minute or so to get it warm then bend it over a form.

Practice, you can bubble it and it will discolor.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

bubba wrote:To form plexy and acrylic I have heated it up in the oven at 150* for a minute or so to get it warm then bend it over a form.

Practice, you can bubble it and it will discolor.
Thats a good idea, how sharp of a angle can you acheive? I may rig up a ghetto vacumm table mod in the future, see how that would work...
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

any angle, but you have to have a radius in the corner. Go as big as your design will allow.

A vac setup will work the best, but practice no matter what way you go with. Go with Murphy on this as nothing works 100% right out of the gate.

Heat gun or oven, the work time from the time the heat is off and you start bending and shaping is relative to the temp your working in. you will have more work time if your in a 90* room vrs. a 60* room.

Guess what I'm saying is buy extra materials and play until you have the warm fuzzies and then make your final part.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
id86
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by id86 »

let see if the temp in the oven is too hot, is the acrylic will melt? how long it will take to harden it back?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

soon as its cool, but you don't heat it until it melts, just long enough to get it to bend.
-Thomas Jefferson
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

Buy the heat gun. They're always useful for other uses to like paint stripping etc. Never fear about buying a tool you need. You will more then likely use it again in the future.
odie2190
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by odie2190 »

plus u can burn ur friends!!!

ima pyro btw.
id86
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by id86 »

i have to consider many things before buy the heat gun...besides,the heat gun maybe will be use only for modding.so,not so economical to have it...