Should I Lap it?

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?

Lapping time

Lap them all!
No votes
Lap only the IHS
83%
Lap only the storm (this is a silly option IMO)
17%
Don't lap them, you might break something!
No votes

Total votes: 6

DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Should I Lap it?

Post by DMB2000uk »

So seen as though my water cooling loop is disassembled I was contemplating lapping both my IHS and Storm block.

I have not lapped anything before but am OK with my hands and am feeling fairly confident about it. I know how long a proper job will take, so hope I can pay attention that long :mrgreen:

But I just wanted to know if its worth it, the finish on the storm block, while not shiny mirrored is a fairly decent one (read: flat) with a possible tiny bow towards the middle. I haven't checked the flatness of my CPU but suspect that it sucks.

I guess the warantee on my E6600 is void seen as though I overclock, but it is in good condition as until now its only ever been under water.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

if your water block is flat then i would suggest lapping the CPU also... With CPU prices dropping so fast it shouldn't matter if you fry it... If the rumors are true you should be able to get a quad-core for what you paid for that E6600 when you got it.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

do not lap the waterblock you will destroy it
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I'm almost tempted to try and prove you wrong now Matt :P

(But I know that I'd probably make a bad job of it.)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Trying to lap your Storm is pretty much a waste of time unless you put some deep scratches in it somehow, but lapping it will not distroy it unless you are a complete and utter fool ................... :shock:
You'd get much more out of lapping your CPU IHS, I've done several (all) my AMD's in the past with great results, never distroied a single one........... 8) I haven't tried lapping a Intel yet, but I will as soon as I get my new core in July (if it needs it that is) my current E4300 is making great contact with the block so I haven't even worried about doing it as of yet, but I may just for S & G's later on.

One question, have you thought about installing a back plate behind your MoBo to help support the block while tighting down the springs, it helps out and keeps the board from bowing and you can apply more pressure on the core to improve the performance.

Scythe and Thermalright both make some pretty nice ones.

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/0 ... etail.html

http://www.thermalright.com/default.htm