Corsair HX620 Watt Enough?

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
enjoiflip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Corsair HX620 Watt Enough?

Post by enjoiflip »

Hi all,
i was thinking of getting the Corsair HX620w power supply. i did the test on the extreme power supply calculator and i am not sure if its sufficient. it says 580w in total with 2 HD4850 in crossfire mode with the rest of my stuffs. so basically is 620 watts enough if i wanted to add say maybe another hard disk at 7200rpm and change my ram to ddr3 1066mhz in the near future?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Corsair HX620 Watt Enough?

Post by Apoptosis »

works fine on the test system with a Penryn processor overclocked to ~4GHz, 6GB of DDR3 1800MHz memory, dual Radeon HD 4870 graphics cards in CrossFire, a Natuilus 500 water cooler, a RaptorX hard drive, SATA DVD-Burner and a couple 120mm fans.
enjoiflip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by enjoiflip »

just the reply i needed thanks mate! :)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

The corsair will be fine, Nate (Apoptosis) has had one running quad SLI before now (check out the 9800GX2 SLI review), they are very conservatively rated with the wattage and are much better than they are labelled.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
enjoiflip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by enjoiflip »

Yup i will check it out Dan.Thanks dude. I'll prolly be getting it tomorrow or so heh. :)

Also,I'm kind of wondering if having a better PSU will reduce the temps on the computer? Cos i have the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 CPU cooler cooling my E8400, i've replace the thermal paste with arctic silver 5 and my CPU seems to idle at 39 - 41C on both cores. What i find a little weird is that i've seen people's comments on Newegg saying thier E8400 with the hyper 212 ildes at 20-25C.I've not done any overclocking and i currently have 3 fans cooling my computer. I'm currently using some stock PSU at 450W and yes changing to a Corsair HX 620 tomorrow. So does a better power supply affect the heat reduction on my CPU, or is the contact between the heatsink and CPU the area of fault? Please advice. :-k
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Apoptosis wrote:works fine on the test system with a Penryn processor overclocked to ~4GHz, 6GB of DDR3 1800MHz memory, dual Radeon HD 4870 graphics cards in CrossFire, a Natuilus 500 water cooler, a RaptorX hard drive, SATA DVD-Burner and a couple 120mm fans.
Yep, my sig running on it except I actually have a 9800GX2 on there now and runs strong.
Joe
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

enjoiflip wrote:What i find a little weird is that i've seen people's comments on Newegg saying thier E8400 with the hyper 212 ildes at 20-25C.
What you have to think about is what the room temperature is where they are and what the temperature is where you are.

Odds are that it's pretty cool where they are and somewhat warmer where you are.

How are you applying the thermal paste, there is a chance that you could be using too much, but i think the first reason I gave is most likely the cause.

Adding a better PSU in a case with pretty good airflow in won't really change temperatures through the case so there won't be much luck there.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
enjoiflip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by enjoiflip »

Yeah i understand that the room temperature plays a role on the temps,I'm staying in asia, my room temps around 28 - 32C on casual days but the temps drops to about 22 - 25 in the night with my air-con switced on.I don't think thats the case for my situation as previously when i had the E6320 with the stock intel cooler my temps were idling around 27-29C. Now with the E8400 producing lesser heat and with a better cooler i'm sure my temps should at least be 27-29C or even lower. In fact it got higher :-k

About the thermal paste, i applied a grain like amount onto the CPU and just let the cooler to even out the paste when they are screwed together. Am i doing something wrong here? 8-[
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

That's the method I use so I wouldn't have thought so. If you are worried you did it wrong, you can always try reseating it.

One thing you should know about the thermal sensors in CPUs is that they aren't very accurate for reporting idle temperatures (they were intended to only be accurate at high load and set the point where the CPU had to throttle to stay alive or to even shut down the PC). They haven't been too bad before now, but with the recent 45nm upgrade (i.e. 8k & 9k C2D's) they seem to have gotten a bit less reliable.

On my E8400 one of the cores is registering about 10oC warmer than the other one, which is ridiculous as I have the CPU under water.

So as long as your CPU isn't running ridiculously hot (try touching the CPU heatsink to see) then there isn't a whole lot to worry about.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
enjoiflip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by enjoiflip »

Ouh i din't know that.. I thought the sensors would be accurate whatsoever the situation may be.The 45nm chips are supposedly less hotter than the 65nm right,considering the size? Well thanks for the enlightenment Dan. I'll prolly reseat the CPU later at the same time fit in the Corsair, just bought just now :supz:

My heatsink does not even feel hot, even my heatpipes of the cooler are not hot..its seems that its either not connected properly or the cooler is just doing a good job 8)

Oh, i like the part when you say ur E8400 is under water haha its sound funny but cool , the thermal sensor your using is speedfan? or the motherboard's own sensors just to ask.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Coretemp, or realtemp are about the best for reading CPU temps (you may find that speedfan is pretty close to the values of those programs anyway).

My motherboard monitoring software gives me one temperature for the CPU that seems to roughly be an average between the two cores.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
enjoiflip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by enjoiflip »

i have a new question for this PSU, i've been reading and it seems that the hx620 can really handle some serious wattage. So just to be on the sure side, if i hooked up one 4870x2 i should have no problems with the hx620 right?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

You'll be fine powering that :)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
enjoiflip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by enjoiflip »

hey guys, i've got a new qns again. well this power supply is still running fantastic so i was wondering if i could run 2 6950s with it too? i do overclock my 2500k to 4.6ghz so im hoping this power horse can still take it? thanks guys! :)
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I would say no. One 6950 requires at least 500W power supply. http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/ ... iew.aspx#3