Prescott Cooling Solutions

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
mrlecuyer
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Prescott Cooling Solutions

Post by mrlecuyer »

Anyone searching for an exellent cooling solution for the new Prescott series of CPU's I recommend the Zalman CNPS7000a. This is not only great for cooling the CPU but you won't beleive how quite the fan is.

I ran Halo full out and the Cpu Temp was held to below 55C. with the fan at 2200RPM. You barely know its running.

This is exceptional concidering that with the original Intel retail fan, it was around 60C at almost 4700 RPM and I thought that my system was going to explode. LOL

This is by far the quitest cooling unit i've ever had.

M L'Ecuyer

P4 3.0E 800FSB 1Mb L2 Cache
Asus P4P800
1024Mb pc3200 RAM
ATi 9800Pro
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Plextor 708a DVD Burner
Plextor 48/24/48 CD-RW
LG 1720B LCD Monitor
EnerMax 470W power supply
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Welcome! And thanks for sharing your experience!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I just finished building my first sytem but have a few issues I need advice/ help on
First the vitals
Coolmaster case
Enermax EG651-P PSU
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 2.8 E Prescott
Thermalrite SP 94
1GB (4x256) Kingston PC4000 Hyper X
NVidia 5900 SE
Creative Audigy 2
Maxtor 200 Gb Diamond 9
Plextor Premium CD/RW
Generic DVD/RW

Okay, I am running stable at 3.6. Temps are good at 38/30 (house is at 78), but my vcore setting seems to be really high. I get readings anywhere from 1.42 to 1.52. Is this in a safe range? I know this has more to give, but am not the expert, yet anyway. I have the memory running at 1:1 3-4-4-8-8 at 2.85. I see that alot of people are running the same board and processor as me, and you all seem so on the ball, I would love any ideas I can get from anyone. Are there any special settings or anything that I need to set in the Bios, etc?
Which brings me to my second question. I have been trying to update the BIOS to the new 1016. I have an old version dated 2-04, the new one is dated 4-04, and every time I try to update it I get the checksum error. I've tried ASUS tech support and they are no help. I am using the new autoupdate as well.
Thanks in advance
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I have used the ZALMAN CNPS7000A-AlCu, the AeroCool DP-102LE, and based on the opinions here the Thermalrite SP 94. I have to say with the Prescott chip the SP 94 blows everything else away. Until today I was using a IC7-Max 3 board, which I hated, and had to removes the special cover and fan to get the DP102 to fit.
I was also going nuts because it idled at 54, while the ASUS idles at 36 (I know, I know, I read the reviews here), but I will say I did notice a huge difference between the two as far as physical heat I could feel. I would love to get ahold of one of those new Thermaltake Heatpipes I saw linked from your sight.
Anyway, one quick question. Can anyone recommend a good NB chip cooler for the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe board and for memory? I have heatspreaders, but the memory slots are all full and so close together I don't know if they are moving heat.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

If you are running only 2.85Vdimm on the memory you don't need anything more than heat spreaders on the memory.

As for the northbridge I like using the Swiftech MCX159 chipset cooler. It works and is pretty sweet looking to boot.

The link below will show you all you need to know.

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx159.asp
xm|NeO
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by xm|NeO »

hmmm I'm running with a Thermalright SP94 Heatsink...I think it is a way better than the Zalman Cooler^^and you can use many different fans on it
MOD your World!
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Does lapping really make a big difference? I was considering lapping the top of my cpu, I don't think the heatsink would need it. I am using arctic silver 5 and a thermaltake 80cm smartfan, kinda loud sometimes when it get cranking.
With the P4C800-E, what is a good temperature range. I'm running stable at 3.5, my temps are at 38/30 idle on 1.42 vcore and 2.85 DRAM. Is that okay?
Also I see where alot of people overvolt their ram, how do you do that on the ASUS boards?
I looked into that Swiftech NB cooler, that little sucker is expensive!!! Is it worth it? Does the NB need active cooling?
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I am thinking about cutting a hole in the side of my Wavmaster case and installing a 120 mm fan. Has anyone seen those docting solutions or have any experience using them? My thought is instead of running my computer without a side panel, I'll replace the stock case fans with smartfans and install the 120mm fan in the case panel..
Does anyone else have any better solutions? I have seen the ducts that go from a hole you cut to the cpu, as well as those plastic covers, but I can't find where to buy them.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

55 seems hot to me, i run my amd 2500+ oc'd to 3300+ (2.43ghz) and my temp never breaks above 50. hell even 50 is hot and i only let it get that hot for my sanity as i cannot bare my fan spining at 4800rpm. i like my system to run ~35-45.

Ducting: most people make there own ducting, it will help as you bring in more fresh cool air. I have 2 120mm fans runing at 7v and there nice and quiet so i would recomend either a 7v mod or a fan bus over smart fans as most smart fans will not opperate at case tempretures only cpu tempretures. ie. my thermal take smart fan runs 1200rpm @ 20c and 4800rpm @ 55c , as most cases do not get above 35c the fan would never spin much more than 1800 rpm.

Lapping: as far as i know it makes up to a 5c difference. i will be lapping my heatsink next week when im finished with finals so i will let you know. But ever one i talk to who has done it says it makes a big difference.

Overvolting: not so sure i know what you mean but here goes. if you want to bump up your ram voltate it should be on the same page in you bios where the cpu voltage is. just bump up the voltage. i run my ram at 2.9v and its raited for 2.6-2.9 so im at the top end of what the manufactuer suggests.

NB cooler: vantec has a simple and nice cooler that keeps my NB nice and cool Link i dont know who these people are but there is a good picture of it so that will work.

Ram Sinks: at 2.85 they are not nessesary if the case has decent air flow. they are more of a style thing than practical untill you get into the pc3700 range and up.

i think i covered every thing :)
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"