2 PSU 2gether !!

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
dipu
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

2 PSU 2gether !!

Post by dipu »

Hi, I was thinking :oops: is there any way that I can use 2 PSUs together. I dont know much about PSUs so any comment or suggest is welcome.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2 PSU 2gether !!

Post by DMB2000uk »

You'd need an adaptor that links the two purple (I think it's purple at least) wires on the 24pin ATX, so that the second PSU can power on with the first.

You'd also need to make sure that both PSUs have their minimum load placed on all rails (usually about 1-1.5A per rail), which if you are just powering peripheral devices with the second PSU will be tricky to do, as most peripherals only use the 12v rail.

But if these things are taken into consideration, yes, you can link and run two PSUs on the same computer.

Dan

PS. If you are doing this with cheap PSUs, I'd strongly recommend not doing this and just buying one decent PSU.
Image (<- Clickable)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Its the green wires, but here is what you need http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5637/ ... Cable.html

Would suggest the board and video card on one PSU, everything else on the other. This is how the Antec NeoLink is setup
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
dipu
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by dipu »

PS. If you are doing this with cheap PSUs, I'd strongly recommend not doing this and just buying one decent PSU.
Sorry Dan, I didnot understand. Actually I was thinking of doing that.
dipu
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by dipu »

Yes you are right. I am forgetting about doing that and going to buy a TT 500 or 450.