Cooling under $150

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Cooling under $150

Post by hercules71185 »

If you were to spend $150 on a cooling set up for your computer, would you do;
A) But an awesome air cooler for your CPU GPU and North bridge.
OR
B) Buy a cheap water kit such as the thermaltake big water kit. and a block for the VGA?
OR
Give me some ideas on what you would do to get the most out of your system.
For example what you believe to be the best you can get for the price range.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cooling under $150

Post by Apoptosis »

It depends on what you are doing in terms of the overclock and on what processor, video card and motherboard.

Improving the air cooling is cheap and easy to do with great results as I showed here back in 2008 on a Radeon HD 4850 video card - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/740/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Personally, if I had to do it over again, I'd stick with water. Nothing out there cools as effectivly for the price and reliability. Plus, water cooling is scalable. But doing a good system for $150 is rough. $200 is about as cheap as I think you could get away with using quality parts.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

I definitely plan on doing it nice and everything. But, I just want something I can play with and learn the whole water cooling thing. I'm going to slowly put a full system from hard drive coolers, to ram, northbridge , GPU (in SLI) and CPU. I like messing with stuff and I like comparing results. I just need to get a little more experience using programs like frontpage so I can make some neat reviews. Hey maybe someday one of them might end up on a site like this one haha. :lol: