Popping CPU's. Please help, I'm desperate.

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Marcus Oryanus
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Popping CPU's. Please help, I'm desperate.

Post by Marcus Oryanus »

Hi all, I'm in a bind here and I really need some help.

I bought a PNY Geforce GTX 285, Phenom II 920, Asus M3N72-D mobo, an Earthwatts 650w PSU, and a case from Fry's. Since putting it all together I have fried a total of 3 CPU's!!! The first was my old Phenom 9550, so I thought it was probably just the cpu going bad, replaced it with the 920, everything worked great for 3 weeks and then ka-boom. I took it up to a local repair shop to have a diagnostic ran on it, they said they couldn't find anything wrong(i.e. power supply seemed okay, board not touching the case, etc.) but that it was most likely the mobo and recommended I replace it . I did just that earlier this weekend, put the whole thing back together and just this morning it pops again. Now I know it's not the board and not the CPU, It has to be either something wrong with the PSU, the vid card, or the case, but this process of elimination is getting expensive.

Anyone have any ideas??? Please...

update: All 3 CPU's have gone while playing games(Vid card maybe).
AMD Phenom II 920 X4 @ 3.1
2 X PNY GeForce GTX 285 SLI
Western Digital Caviar 650g
6g Corsair DDR2 @ 1066 mhz
Asus M3N72-D
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Popping CPU's. Please help, I'm desperate.

Post by InspectahACE »

I would try a different power supply before anything else..Ive never even heard of that brand either
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Marcus Oryanus
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Marcus Oryanus »

I should have been a little more clear, it's an Antec Earthwatt.
Asus M3N72-D
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

damn i need to read more lol..my apologies..I'd still try another power supply tho in case..if possible use a power supply tester($10-$20 at Fry's if you don't have one) and see if the power supply is realyl at fault. the other options are try another video card or case.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Could also be faulty voltage regulators on the board or bent pins in the CPU socket... Who built the PC? If it's a shop I'd be taking it back and telling them to look into it. You said you replaced the board though... That leans to the PSU then since it's the only thing you haven't replaced or checked... I'd be hooking up a volt meter to that ASAP before you blow up any more CPUs.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Marcus Oryanus
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Marcus Oryanus »

Thanks for the replies you guys. I've checked out the PSU and it checks out, so that seems to be unlikely. I handed it over to the assholes at Fry's to see if they can't figure out whats going on. I'll keep you posted.
Asus M3N72-D
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Fry's should be good. I don't know how they are now, but when I let the one in town have my rig 6 years ago(my very very first rig), they did me a favor and helped me out. I only had enough to either pay for the diagnostic, or to just get ram and hope. They were cool enough to wave the diag fee and found it was a ram issue. and I got my ram :)..even the dude who helped me is somehow still there :shock: ..Regardless, good luck and let us know
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

I would test a different PSU.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
Marcus Oryanus
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Marcus Oryanus »

Got the call from Fry's. The bad news is they said that they had ran 3dMark on it and numerous other benchmarks and found nothing, leaving me no concrete explanation and figuring that it must be either the graphics card or the psu. The good news, overwhelmingly so, is that the manager was freakin awesome and gave me no trouble whatsoever when I petitioned him to exchange both and the CPU. So, the problem almost certainly has to be solved, since I have now switched out everything less the hard drive and ram. Seriously, two thumbs up to Fry's, the guy was extremely helpful and I'm generally pretty jaded towards Fry's in general.
Asus M3N72-D
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Very nice. Their sales people are made of solid suck, but when you go towards that repair shop, it's a whole different world. I'm glad they went the extra mile for ya dude. They did for me and they're still doing it.Good to see these days. Keep us posted on the new stuff
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

A case from Fry's? hehe Fry is the name of the case... although that has nothing to do with "frying" your CPU. :P
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Evasion wrote:A case from Fry's? hehe Fry is the name of the case... although that has nothing to do with "frying" your CPU. :P
Not very nice to poke fun at the problem :goodman:

It almost certainly was either the motherboard or the power supply. Both are good brands, but once in a while something gets past Quality Assurance.
Glad you're getting things sorted out Marcus, and don't forget to post back here after everything checks out OK :drinkers:
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

stopthekilling77 wrote:
Evasion wrote:A case from Fry's? hehe Fry is the name of the case... although that has nothing to do with "frying" your CPU. :P
Not very nice to poke fun at the problem :goodman:

It almost certainly was either the motherboard or the power supply. Both are good brands, but once in a while something gets past Quality Assurance.
Glad you're getting things sorted out Marcus, and don't forget to post back here after everything checks out OK :drinkers:
It was the power supply, I'm sure of it.