Bubbas Water Cooled HAF-922

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Bubbas Water Cooled HAF-922

Post by bubba »

The tee for the T line is right at the inlet above the pump, runs to the top rear of the case for the fill port/res.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Ok, I see it now. Should have looked at the earlier posts. It was obscured by the feed line from the radiator to the waterblock in the filled pictures. My bad.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Due to a small meltdown the other day I am redoing the loop. Just another reason why you should not use the vinyl tube from Home Depot.

While having the system overclocked a fair bit and pushing it HARD the tubing at the block got warm, relaxed, and twisted on itself; choking the flow. This resulted in the system shutting down. No clue how hot it got, but when the tubing cooled it was stuck in the twisted shape.

Yanked all the tubing out and replacing it with Masterkleer 7/16" ID 5/8" OD tube. I get some images together to show the carnage and other reasons that the vinyl tube sucks.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Ouch..sounds like everything survived it so i guess it ended well. I wouldn't mind water cooling, just events like this scare the crap out of me since I'm near broke to maintain it lol.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Yeah, no leaks, so there is the upside. If I just ordered the Masterkleer in the first place it wouldn't have happened. Its a thicker wall, fits on the fittings better. Think I saved a whopping $4 by not ordering the tubing and buying it at home depot, well nothing was saved really, seeing as I had to re-buy the stuff. Oh well.

Here is a shot of the tubing after it cooled

The tubing ends after I took the clamps off

The home depot stuff is 1/2" ID, the masterkleer is 7/16". The slightly smaller ID is snugger on the 1/2" fittings, actually have to push to get the tubing on. Think I can get away with zip ties or spring clamps rather than the worm gear clamps and avoid the marring like in the pic above.
-Thomas Jefferson
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

In the process of switching out my tubing I decided to add in a set of Quick Disconnects to make getting things in and out of the system easier.

I picked up a set of Koolance "no drip" VL3 1/2" QD's from Performance PC's

Male half, notice the pins

Female half, the pins on the male half lock into the grooves on the female half.

What makes them "no drip" is an internal plunger that is slammed shut by a spring when the halves are pulled apart.
The plunger, connection side
The spring, hose side

Assembled, not that short.

With them in the loop I started my leak testing. The 7/16"ID tube and 1/2" fittings, no leaks. Feeling nervous I added zip ties for the "warm fuzzy" factor. (yes I eventually cut the curb feelers off)

Now to split the connection. Not quite "no drip", very small drip better then just cracking a fitting loose.
In the catch towel are the drops from the male side of the connection.

From the female side, there was a little more then a drop BUT I was able to control where it went.

Separated

Even with going to the smaller tube and adding in the QD's, witch slightly restrict flow, with my big pump my temps were not affected. Think this is due to the fact the tubing holds its shape better and doesn't collapse (restricting flow). If I took the QD's out it may get better temps, but I like how it makes changing blocks or getting the board out of the case with out draining the whole system MUCH easier.
-Thomas Jefferson
skier

Post by skier »

those fittings look pretty cool, definately the way i'd go 8)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I really like the QD's on the CPU idea, makes for an easy life for someone that has to change out the CPU cooler too often. Might have to look into that when I plumb my system up.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Does make it handy. When I swapped the block out I was able to somewhat fill it out of the loop, then put it into the system. Instead of taking all day and most of an evening to bleed out the air, it was only a couple hours before it stopped gurgling.

I start testing a lot of blocks I may look at getting a small cheap-o pump and another set of fittings for cycling fluid through the block before so no bleeding will be needed. :-k

But I don't see a a lot of blocks in the future, but I'm set up for it now :mrgreen: and it does make it SO much easier to get the board in and out.
-Thomas Jefferson
eyna21
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by eyna21 »

Always cool to get the goods tucked inside, nice job!