My Coolit Domino ALC blew up

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
jloehr
Legit User
Legit User

My Coolit Domino ALC blew up

Post by jloehr »

On Friday my Coolit Domino ALC liquid cpu cooler went bad. I'd just bought Majesty 2 on steam, after playing for an hour or so I heard a load popping noise and the screen went purple. I turned off the machine as fast as I could and when I opened it up I found the Domino leaked all its coolant on my two gtx 285s and my x-fi (barely visible) and my psu.

After cleaning it up, airing it out with BIG fans for a day, and replacing the cooler with the intel stock fan, my system can now sometimes boot to windows (with video corruption). I've tried swapping out as many components as possible, but that doesn't help.

Anyway it you have one of these in your box I suggest turning it off right now, taking it out and shooting it. Then go get an air cooler.

werewolfdaddy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: My Coolit Domino ALC blew up

Post by werewolfdaddy »

Woah, man. I am truly sorry. Was it a hose or a hole in the radiator?
jloehr
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jloehr »

Best I can tell the leak was coming from the pump itself. I should mention it worked fine for about 8 months, and I hadn't been messing around inside the case recently.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Very interesting... It doesn't look like the tubes were twisted beyond a typical install either.

I'd be curious to see if you can track down that leak. A sudden leak of that much fluid should be the result of a crack...
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

HOLY ****!

I sure hope mine doesnt do that! I wonder if you got a hold of Collit, if they would replace the parts taht got damaged under warranty service or if they only worry about the water cooler? If the cooler damaged other items, they should replace them also. I would call and talk to someone!!

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
werewolfdaddy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werewolfdaddy »

I''m not going to link to another site, but I went to Coolit's forums to find out what I could for him. It appears he went there too looking for help. Read his post and the replies from Coolit and it doesn't look like they're going to do much more than RMA the cooler.
jloehr
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jloehr »

KnightRid,

I'd strongly advise you to turn your system off right now then replace the domino before turning it back on.

I'm currently working on getting some attention from the press. I've been contacting anyone who did a review on it, especially those who gave it an award or recommendation. So far I've had some very positive responses from journalist reviewers.

Indeed Coolit has offered to replace or refund the part, but I want them to consider doing a recall. I'm more concerned that they are continuing to sell this potentially dangerous product, although I'd be happy if they offered to replace my system.

You can read a bunch of consumer review from people who had similar problems:
(27 of 77 reviews I've seen indicated failure, and most of those resulted in damage to other components)

Amazon user reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/CoolIT-DM-1000-Do ... addOneStar

NewEgg user reviews:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835227005
skier

Post by skier »

hmm, newegg no longer carries it, 'Deactivated Item'
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

jloehr wrote:KnightRid,

I'd strongly advise you to turn your system off right now then replace the domino before turning it back on.

I'm currently working on getting some attention from the press. I've been contacting anyone who did a review on it, especially those who gave it an award or recommendation. So far I've had some very positive responses from journalist reviewers.

Indeed Coolit has offered to replace or refund the part, but I want them to consider doing a recall. I'm more concerned that they are continuing to sell this potentially dangerous product, although I'd be happy if they offered to replace my system.

You can read a bunch of consumer review from people who had similar problems:
(27 of 77 reviews I've seen indicated failure, and most of those resulted in damage to other components)

Amazon user reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/CoolIT-DM-1000-Do ... addOneStar

NewEgg user reviews:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835227005

DAMN - it works so damn good too :(

I might take a chance and see what happens. Id ont have the money to buy a high end water cooling kit for the i7-920 and I like seeing it run at 4.3ghz and 4.51ghz turbo :) If it breaks I will get a hold of them and if they wont replace everything that was damaged, I would probably talk to a lawyer for them to either replace my damaged parts or file a class action lawsuit. If enough people have had this problem, then a lawsuit would solve it, hopefully.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
jloehr
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jloehr »

Hey all, I've been in contact with Coolit. Without going into details I will say they are treating me fairly and to my satisfaction.

There is indication that my case involved isolated circumstances, but as always use your own best judgment.
werewolfdaddy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werewolfdaddy »

I'm glad this had a happy ending. Congrats, man.
jloehr
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jloehr »

Following up on my problem. Coolit systems did a great job resolving my problem. My machine is back up and running just like it was before the incident. I was playing the game “Risen” with it much of the weekend and had no problems at all.

The problem with the Domino in my machine was rare and the responsibility for explaining it rests with Coolit. The damage to my machine was significantly lighter than I feared.

My advice to anyone considering any sort of water cooling is to minimize where leaks could potentially go, provide an escape path for the fluid and put as few things under the reservoir as possible. The ideal setup for a water cooled CPU would be a case that mounts the motherboard inverted and top mounts the power supply.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

jloehr wrote:My advice to anyone considering any sort of water cooling is to minimize where leaks could potentially go, provide an escape path for the fluid and put as few things under the reservoir as possible.

That is why I'm a strong advocate for external liquid-cooling units like the Nautilus 500 and the rear mounted Swiftech kits that can actually be mounted onto another frame to prevent leaking disasters.

Why in the world would a person put reservoirs and rads INSIDE a case knowing that there is limited room inside and the tubing has to make these stressful bends? It's a recipe for leakers. The OUTSIDE approach lends itself to keep leaks to a minimum and keeps those costly dual GPU cards , MB, HDD and other hardware far and clear of any pending issues.

Purging the cooling loop and swapping out components is by far easier with an external unit too. Plus the external unit can be as big as you want it to be. Having inlet and outlet liquid dis-connects is a major plus as well.

The old saying is, It's not ever your system would have a leak, but when it will.

The CoolIT system is a nice, novel and compact unit all in one. Got to love that too.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

This is the reason I am too afraid to watercool. I'm glad Coolit decided to help you out.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
y eye
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by y eye »

Good day,
Barry Reicker, aka Barrolde, http://twitter.com/barrolde is the sales manager for CoolIt in Calgary.
He will help all he can... He is in sales but the lab is next door and I have ordered custom
built gear. I've had problems and he straightened them out overnight and put me in comtact with
the lab lead hand.

It sounds to me like you are not sure what happened and not sure what to do. My advice is stop
worrying. Call Barry and tell him what happened as best you can and ask him what to do...
That's all let him take it from there... betcha things work out real soon.

y
BMAN69
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by BMAN69 »

I know this is an old thread (came across it while researching "Domino Leaks"); but I thought I would add my 2 cents in as well.
I've had my Domino for almost a year without any problems...how wrong I was!

The unit had been leaking from the waterblock itself (I had to look real close to find the leaks), the leaks was almost unnoticeable...long story short, it fried not just my motherboard, but the CPU and video card as well.

I contacted CoolIt early this morning; got the usual replies from them (copy of invoice, pics...the usual), and am now waiting to hear what comes next (if anything).
I've heard back from the etailer I shop at (they've been servicing my system for years), the motherboard is definitely shot, they don't carry AM2 boards anymore...AND because the frying was due to the water damage, it's not covered by the warranty.

Pic included is of the waterblock leak...almost need a magnifying glass to see it

Can life get any better ](*,)
Attachments
DSCN0091.JPG
DSCN0091.JPG (178.78 KiB) Viewed 8798 times