Barb vs Compression fittings

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.

Compression Fittings vs. Barb Fittings

Compression
40%
Barb
60%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 5

Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Barb vs Compression fittings

Post by Skippman »

Which do you guys prefer? I know barb fittings are much cheaper but I don't like the look of the hose clamps used to keep them tight. Has anyone tried the compression fittings? How do you like them?
skier

Re: Barb vs Compression fittings

Post by skier »

[insert non-knowledge/opinion]

can't say i really know, but i do know compression fittings are used primarily for Fuel lines in cars(or look it anyway), so i imagine they seal very well, and appear to take up a smaller amount of space, and i've only used barb on Pool stuff and other misc. stuff, but it's generally a pain compared to compression

[/opinion]
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I have used both, and the next time I revamp my loop it will have compression fittings and quality tubing.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

On my next rig I'm looking to try and push my modding skills to thier max. With Warmachine I got overcome with the desire to "get it done" and finish it as opposed to really taking my time and getting all the details dialed in. A lot of this was due to my own inexperience with water cooling. Now that I have a rig under my belt I want to really see how... well, beutiful, I can make the system.

That's my reason for wanting to use the compression fittings. The barb fittings just look so low rent, like something you'd find under the hood of a Ford Fiesta. I want something that looks percision. Compression fittings seem to give that look. My only concern is function. If they look good but leak then they're useless.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Perhaps using the compression fitting along with a sealant may be the best option. Maybe some sort of silicone or something along those lines. I do agree about how the hose clamps look, but I am willing to settle on the look of them to protect 1000's in hardware
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I'll be running compression fittings on my next loop (already had a play about with them as I've got some here ready).

They're definitely tight enough to not have to worry about using a second means of sealing them, the only possible concern might be if you over-tighten them and they start cutting through the walls of the tubing, but tightening by hand shouldn't let you tighten that far tbh.

And I have to agree, they do look miles better than the clamps.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I have used compression fittings on the 760i kit I have and the Koolance block I tested on the Q6600. Its LOADS easier. They just cost more then barbed fittings.

There are some that run 7/16" ID hose on 1/2" "fat boy" type barbs and not needing clamps, but I'm not that brave.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson