Cooler Master V8 and Ram Fans touching.... is this bad?

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Cooler Master V8 and Ram Fans touching.... is this bad?

Post by shaxs »

Hi All,

I just got done building (minus ram... grr stupid newegg 3 days my butt!) and I have a Cooler Master V8 and the Corsair Dominator Ram fans. Well, this V8 is so large that it sort of covers the ram area. I can squeeze the Corsair fans on (not sturdy fit mind you), but the Corsair and the V8 touch metal to metal. Will this cause issues? Should I ditch the memory fans? Please see picture
Attachments
v8 and memory fans.jpg
v8 and memory fans.jpg (231.96 KiB) Viewed 5563 times
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Cooler Master V8 and Ram Fans touching.... is this bad?

Post by InspectahACE »

I would ditch the ram fans...they aren't really needed..They help don't get me wrong..but unless you're really overclocking the hell out of the ram, it's not really needed
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shaxs »

InspectahACE wrote:I would ditch the ram fans...they aren't really needed..They help don't get me wrong..but unless you're really overclocking the hell out of the ram, it's not really needed
I do plan on over clocking the system. I just built this:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=12124072

Quick summary is a GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P AM3 mobo with an AMD 965 BE cooled by a Cooler Master V8 and 8 gigs of the new OCZ DDR3 1600 AMD Black edition. I am hoping to overclock the proc to around 4ghz. Overclocking the ram would be nice. I do have an Antec Spot Cool which I can put on the ram (the neck on that thing sucks!).
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

if anything I'd stick with that Antec Spot Cool.. I wouldn't try using the Corsair ones(or anything) if they're touching the cpu cooler that much..I can't say i don't have fans on mine since I have a V10 lol. But I don't OC the ram.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

No worries at all if they touch... My memory cooler touches my CPU cooler on tall the Core i7 and Core i5 test systems and nothing has ever failed.

Game on!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shaxs »

Cool, well I just bought some ram from Frys to tide me over until my ram from Newegg gets in.

Does anyone have a good over clocking guide?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

on what part of the system?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shaxs »

All parts? :) I was messing around a bit earlier and was able to get to 4.1 ghz stable (I think). I am thinking about using the AMD Over Drive utility once I have Win 7 installed.

I saw in my bios I can overclock the cpu, pcie, bus, ect. I have never really oc'ed before, but I bought components to allow me to try it out. What would be a respectable overclock for the AMD 965 BE on air?
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shaxs »

I managed to Fubar my brand new windows 7 RC install in my overclock attempts. Once I get my 8 b OCZ black edition ram in I will try to overclock again. I think this cheap Corsair memory I bought at frys inst very conducive to overclocking.