Power Supply in the Bottom of the Case

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Power Supply in the Bottom of the Case

Post by dgood »

So I bought a Coolermaster Storm Scout. Legit Reviews did a review of it. I had a few questions the most pressing would be the placement and orientation of the power supply. It seems it is designed to have the power supply draw air from the carpet as the primary option and have it's own air loop. However it has the ability to put it where it draws air out the case and out the back also. Which would be better? Drawing it from the carpet would mean cooler air by a bit, but also more dust/fibers and constriction of air since my carpet is decently tall. Or should I the fan toward the inside get the air that might be warm from two 8800gts cards?

Also, in the review where did the fan on the door come from? was it removed from the front fan or was it an additional red led fan that was purchased? Or is it a stock picture to make it look cooler though it doesn't come with it?
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Power Supply in the Bottom of the Case

Post by DaIceMan »

cut a piece of 1 x 12 shelving to the size of the case (or slightly bigger for stability) and put that under the case. Can be painted to match and act as a barrier between the carpet and the bottom of the case.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

Optix
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Optix »

I have mine pointing down but in the original NZXT Tempest there is no vent so it is drawing air out of the case only it is doing it from the coolest possible area near the bottom. If you are worried about dust you could fashion your own dust filter out of tight metal screening and stick it to the bottom of your case. This would eliminate the possibility of a fabric filter being sucked into your PSU and you could spray paint if to the color of your liking.

Regardless, up or down is fine.

Remember, warm air rises so either way your PSU will be pulling cooler air from your case than if it were at the top. It's a win/win situation in my opinion assuming your 4 or 8-pin power connector is long enough.

Why do I have mine pointed down you may ask? Screws. Beware the screws!
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

I was more worried about actual carpet as I removed the fan filter that was in the case for better air flow into psu. It has screws to go both directions, but I think since it has holes already fro air from below i'll orient it that way.