Need some suggestions for a new computer case

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
AzureNightmareX1
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Need some suggestions for a new computer case

Post by AzureNightmareX1 »

I am currently planning my next computer build, which is likely to happen in early 2011, and I am looking for a case that will suit my needs. This is gonna be a monstrous build, with an emphasis on performance. I need a case that is absolutely cavernous and can hold 4 large video cards as well as a great number of hard drives. It also needs to support Extended ATX and provide more than enough space for me to run my power cables and sata cables to their appropriate destinations without looking too cluttered. Also dust is a concern as I live in a very old house. Can you guys think of any cases that might fit my needs. Thanks in advance.
Co-Owner, Co-Founder, Community Manager - Gamer Theory Media
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Need some suggestions for a new computer case

Post by Major_A »

What's the dollar limit?

Off hand I'd say either the Corsair Obsidian 800D or the Silverstone Raven RV02.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

There a few nice cases,

Corsair 700D or 800D
Cooler Master HAF-X, Cosmos S
Lian Li PC-V2120, PC-V2010B
Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24

If the SR-2 is in your plans look at the Lian Li PC-V2120 or the MM Pinnacle 24
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
AzureNightmareX1
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

$700 limit
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

$700 for just the case :shock:

Yeah, any of the ones listed are in your price range. Most are in the 200-300 range.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Do like Bubba said earlier and pick up a Mountain Mods case. One thing's for sure your buddies won't have the case.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

And with mountain mods they can custom paint/powder coat and do window etching for your budget. The UFO or CYO Ascension will still be in your budget and have !@#$ ton's of room. And can double as an end table or night stand.
-Thomas Jefferson
AzureNightmareX1
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Mountain Mods it is then! I was looking at them this morning and was thinking that their cases are rather nice looking, Thanks for the help gentlemen, you just put the second to last piece of the puzzle in its place...now to find a design that is appealing to the eyes to have done as a custom powder coat. and for reference I am expecting to spend as much as $5000 on this build. This PC will be built to last.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

When you start building start a build thread. Something this big will get a lot of drooling.
-Thomas Jefferson
skier

Post by skier »

bubba wrote:When you start building start a build thread. Something this big will get a lot of drooling.
+1
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Depending on how nice you want your wiring you might want to invest in some cable extensions.
Example:
http://www.nzxt.com/new/product.php?ser ... &series=13
AzureNightmareX1
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

bubba wrote:When you start building start a build thread. Something this big will get a lot of drooling.
Will do. Definitely will do that.
Major_A wrote:Depending on how nice you want your wiring you might want to invest in some cable extensions.
Example:
http://www.nzxt.com/new/product.php?ser ... &series=13
hmm this with a modular psu might just be the thing I am looking for, excellent suggestion!

I'm still undecided as to whether I should go with AMD or go with Intel, My heart says AMD but my brain says Intel.
Last edited by AzureNightmareX1 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I'm just curious here, why are you spending so much on a new computer? With the pace technology moves your $5,000 computer won't be worth half that in a year. Unless you're living a real life Brewster's Millions and you need to get rid of cash.

Brewster's Millions - for the younger crowd.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088850/
AzureNightmareX1
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

because its been years since my last major upgrade, my computer desperately needs one. As for the value of it, I consider the value of my computer to be how long it will last, and my computer will be outdated for two years come december. A good hefty rebuild like what I am planning will allow me to actually spend less money on my PC in the long run.
skier

Post by skier »

AzureNightmareX1 wrote:my computer will be outdated for two years come december.
Core2Quad?

if so, its not like it was a bad CPU lol any Core2 can handle everything other than gaming to this day. a lot of colleges are still rocking mostly pentium4's around campus (slow as ell) -my gaming system is an X6 1055T, but my secondary is a pentium4 and the tax machine is a Slot 1 Pentium III haha
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
AzureNightmareX1
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

skier wrote:
AzureNightmareX1 wrote:my computer will be outdated for two years come december.
Core2Quad?

if so, its not like it was a bad CPU lol any Core2 can handle everything other than gaming to this day. a lot of colleges are still rocking mostly pentium4's around campus (slow as ell) -my gaming system is an X6 1055T, but my secondary is a pentium4 and the tax machine is a Slot 1 Pentium III haha
actually its a pentium dualcore, wolfsdale core. it was an emergency repair from about two years ago. It really isn't doing the job anymore. So when I win my disability appeal and get my backpay, which will be substantial according to my lawyer, I will set aside $5000 of it for my dream computer build.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Fair enough. What are you planning on cooling the rig with? Mountain Mods cases are known for their water cooling friendly cases.
AzureNightmareX1
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Major_A wrote:Fair enough. What are you planning on cooling the rig with? Mountain Mods cases are known for their water cooling friendly cases.
I didn't really consider anything aside from air since I had a bad experience with a Koolance external water cooling unit (both pumps failed and the resulting heat damaged my Athlon X2, which prompted the quick switch to the pentium dual core) and I know next to nothing about phase change (which is dangerous unless you know your ****). I Have considered peltier cooling, but that isn't the best idea as the extra pull from the auxillary PSU would put a dangerous strain on my home's circuit breaker. If you have any suggestions, I am open to them. As for the intent of this PC, it will be a gaming system through and through, with a focus on that oh so delicious multi monitor goodness that is eyefinity.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

While I'm not a big Swiftech fan they do have a new water cooling kit. You can get it in either a 3x120MM or 2x120MM radiators. With the room Mountain Mods cases come with you can essentially run a loop for the CPU and another for the video card(s).

Swiftech Edge Reviews:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3631/s ... index.html
http://www.ocia.net/reviews/swiftedge/page1.shtml
http://www.overclockersonline.net/revie ... -320-edge/
http://www.overclockershq.com/cooling/s ... eview.html
AzureNightmareX1
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

hmm..while I am uneasy about watercooling once more (understandably so) This solution is particularly attractive, though I still worry about my hoses springing a leak or some other failure wiping out my system. For the time being it has been added to my shopping list. Thanks for all of the help. I am still taking advice and suggestions since this thing wont be built until early 2011 so don't be afraid to offer more suggestions.
Last edited by AzureNightmareX1 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.