Cooling a 700D/800D Build

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Cooling a 700D/800D Build

Post by Skippman »

So, I've selected my components for my next build. I'm planning to recycle some components from my current build into it, namely my water cooling parts. Just wanted to get some opinions on what I'm building.

Radiator: Swiftech MCR320-QP
Pump: Swiftech MCP-655
CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee GTZ

That's what I'm running currently. I've been using Tygon tubing and Fesser-1 coolant. I'm thinking of using PrimoChill PrimoFlex Pro. The UV stuff. Seems to be easier to bend than the Tygon and priced competitively. What's everyone's opinion of them?

Also, right now I'm rocking the Yate Loon 120mm high speed fans. Are these still considered good? I'm thinking of changing over from blue fans to red ones and was considering these again.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Cooling a 700D/800D Build

Post by vbironchef »

You seem to like the color red so go with that. Don't know anything about water cooling except that Corsair has got some good stuff, thinking the h100. Why not just use what you have for now and see what temps your stuff gives you. If it's not broke then don't fix it. :)

Edit: By the time you end up building your rig it will be out of date! :) I'll wait till next year and replace my old QX6700 rig with the bomb new cpu from Intel and be in F@H heaven. :)
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Parts are being ordered Monday fool! [-X

But really, any PC you build is out of date the second the parts hit your door. There's teams of engineers working right now to ensure that! :D

:partyman:
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Hey fool :lol: I don't need to go to hardwarecanucks to get advice and talk about a cheap mid-range rig forever :lol: Just build it and get it over with. Nuf said :finga: Edit: Just kidding, Without a SSD your rig is going to score very low in the Windows Experience Index. Mine is 7.6. The slowest part is the SSD.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

you're using high speed fans with the swifty rad? the swiftys do well with medium and low speed fans or are you throttling the yates? I run Scythe Mediums, was thinking of gentle typhoons but cant ever find the dam things in stock, bought up too quick.

What is the chip and vid card going to be?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

vbironchef wrote:Hey fool :lol: I don't need to go to hardwarecanucks to get advice and talk about a cheap mid-range rig forever :lol: Just build it and get it over with. Nuf said :finga: Edit: Just kidding, Without a SSD your rig is going to score very low in the Windows Experience Index. Mine is 7.6. The slowest part is the SSD.

Lol! Yeah, I know... I look for help wherever I can find it. I've been out of the PC scene for a couple years and need all I can get. The SSD thing I've been on the fence for a while now. I'd need prob a 200g to handle all my stuff. Either that or use SRT.

bubba wrote:you're using high speed fans with the swifty rad? the swiftys do well with medium and low speed fans or are you throttling the yates? I run Scythe Mediums, was thinking of gentle typhoons but cant ever find the dam things in stock, bought up too quick.

What is the chip and vid card going to be?
I'm running them off a NZXT Sentry fan controller for now. I have them throttled down pretty low but I didn't know the Swiftech rad works best with low speed fans.

I'm using an i5 2500k chip.

I'll likely be using the eVGA GTX 570 Classified that you guys reviewed here recently unless there's something I don't know.

I'm alo debating adding a XSPC dual bay res.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

are you planning on adding the 570 to the loop or leave it on air?

and since you have a D5 pump (mcp655) look at the danger den pump/res housing. the pump mounts straight to the res, has a spiffy cover and can be got in different colors.

http://www.dangerden.com/store/pump-bay-reservoirs/

Since your throttling the fans might as well keep them :)
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I'm on the fence about the 570. The Classified is a non reference design. I can't justify the extra $200+ for the Hydro Copper series. Other than killing the fan sound I don't know how much improvement I'd get.

As for the res I was looking at the XSPC one. It looks as good as the Danger Den stuff to me. Honesty, I really like the looks of this setup from Sidewinder.

Nice fill port, super short loops. If I had tapping experience I could probably mod up that same res myself.
Last edited by Skippman on Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

No res modding needed -> http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/xsacd5tarefo.html Just put a T between the res and the rad. Straight side between rad and res, the T for the fill.

Non-reference designs are hard to get blocks for anyway. Depending how full your expansion slots are can get aftermarket air cooler for the card. They tend to quiet the card way down, but turn them into 2.5 to 3 slot cards.
-Thomas Jefferson
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I have the stock Evga 570 and I find the card is quiet even when using it for F@H. Temps never get above 75C. I use the Evga precision tuner v2.0.4. Works great and never had a issue with noise or temps. I don't overclock my Graphic Cards. I prefer long life over a little speed bump.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

bubba wrote:No res modding needed -> http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/xsacd5tarefo.html Just put a T between the res and the rad. Straight side between rad and res, the T for the fill.

Non-reference designs are hard to get blocks for anyway. Depending how full your expansion slots are can get aftermarket air cooler for the card. They tend to quiet the card way down, but turn them into 2.5 to 3 slot cards.
Well, I'm using an eVGA Z68 FTW so I have tons of room on that front. But still, non-reference card design.

I'm with vbironchief, I'd prefer long life to a few extra MHz. One of the reasons I like the Classified so much. EVGAs excellent warranty.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Here is what my 480 looks like at the moment. It has a GELID Icy Vision cooler on it. WAY quieter than stock, little better temps too.

Card design not as important like with water blocks.

-Thomas Jefferson
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

How does it cool the RAM? Just by the fans? I see no contact between the heat exchanger and the RAM modules.

Swiftech still has their generic GPU blocks. One of those might work.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Looking at this thread it looks like I should be able to just use a EK's waterblock for it and be just fine with the Classified. Apparently there's not much design difference in PCB between it and the GTX 580 other than some RAM modules.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Skippman wrote:How does it cool the RAM? Just by the fans? I see no contact between the heat exchanger and the RAM modules.
RAM sinks, you would need them for any non-full cover water block. Fans blow through the main cooler, onto the card and RAM sinks.
-Thomas Jefferson
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Digging up old threads for some further info as I'll be ordering parts next week. I'm about a month behind schedule.

In my current rig I'm using Yate Loon fans and they're excellent! However, my next rig is going to be based on the Corsair 700D. This brings up a question I've not considered. I hear a lot of talk about how sleeve bearing fans will begin to make noise after a few months when mounted horizontally due to the bearings design and that ball bearing fans are superior for these applications. Given I'm mounting a triple radiator on the top of the case I'll have 3 fans mounted horizontally and I really don't want to have to disassemble the case every few months just to replace cheap fans.

Is this true? Or just an internet rumor?