Older Case worth keeping?

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Older Case worth keeping?

Post by Kaos Kid »

Over the past year I have been upgrading (especially my kids' boxes), and now have lots of leftover parts. One such item is my favorite case from days gone by, but I don't know whether it is worth keeping to put a newer mobo/cpu in. Although I have a couple of lower end 775 cpus and also a 64x2 5000 brisbane, I don't have to limit myself to those if there is a chance something newer will be a better fit for the confines of this case (currently has flex-atx but should fit a mini-itx easily as well, I just have to add some rubber standoffs for stability):

FIC VG61 (some may also recognize the case as similar to the Falcon Northwest Fragbox)

Image Image Image

I'm not sure whether it will handle temps of newer cpus, but I know that the 3.06Ghz/533fsb that is in it now was able to function fine with no mods to the cooling, it only ran into problems when I put an X1650XT AGP card in it because the card vented to the front and the intake was very close to the side plexiglass panel (even then the cpu was fine, the card itself just got too hot). I can probably mod it to take in more air through the front lower holes by carefully re-drilling them to a larger bore, or even mod a hole(s) in the side(s) for more air. Also, the 3.5" floppy opening can be left open for more air as well. I'm probably being stupid by staying so attached to this little case, but it's hard to let it go if it can be used for something else, it is so cool looking lol. I figure I can strip out the flex-atx mobo and 3Ghz CPU and sell them for at least $25-$30 for someone that wants to make a mini carputer out of them or something, and keep the case for another project. In addition I was thinking to use a mobo with integrated video, or even one of the newer setups that uses the video already on the chip to keep temps down. Whatcha think? Keep it or dump it?
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Older Case worth keeping?

Post by Apoptosis »

I looked on Ebay and none of those cases are listed, so not sure what they are worth if you wanted to dump it and get some cash.

The downside to that case is you'll have to mod it to use it again and after modding it, it will be worth hardly anything.

Since you'd have to mode it and the fact it doesn't have front panel USB 3.0 or anything I say sell it off and save up for a new one. my 2 cents.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Older Case worth keeping?

Post by Kaos Kid »

Apoptosis wrote:I looked on Ebay and none of those cases are listed, so not sure what they are worth if you wanted to dump it and get some cash.

The downside to that case is you'll have to mod it to use it again and after modding it, it will be worth hardly anything.

Since you'd have to mode it and the fact it doesn't have front panel USB 3.0 or anything I say sell it off and save up for a new one. my 2 cents.
Yeah, with the skt478 3.06GHz cpu in it and a couple of gigs of DDR 400 it is an OK surfer/word processor but not much beyond that. I just grow too attached to my old hardware, lol...plus you don't see a lot of clear mATX or mini-itx cases anymore, and the built-in handle was great for portability. When the blue led cpu fan glows it lights up the whole case real pretty, that was a big deal back when this first came out (c. 2003). I'll think on it for awhile, I may just tear it down and part it out, I will probably get more for the individual parts (Mobo/cpu/hsf, DDR RAM, PSU, HDD, DVD Burner) than I would for a complete system anyway.

Thanks for the reply!
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll: