Recommend a PSU for me

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
KnightRid

Recommend a PSU for me

Post by KnightRid »

Ok, my PSU is on its way out as it keeps shutting off my computer and it gets so hot I can barely touch it.

Throw me some recommendations.

I have a Q6700, GTX260, 9 sata devices and multiple USB devices - should be enough detail for ya. I was thinking in the 750-850w range which I know is more than I should need but will allow for future expansion. I do not mind going to an even bigger supply as long as the pricing would be great.

It HAS to have long MODULAR cables. I do not want anything not modular and with reading reviews, it seems a lot of the modular cables are made for wussy cases and not full towers.

I t will be on 24/7 but i dont think the bronze/gold/platinum ratings matter a whole lot when my UPS shows around 200W normal drain. Again, I am open for suggestions on all levels.

Need one soon. I keep checking out Newegg daily deals and such but havent really seen anything that blows me out of the water yet.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Recommend a PSU for me

Post by DragonFury »

corsair, pc power and cooling, silverstone, seasonic, ocz, coolermaster are the top ones i look at.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

ditto, minus the coolermaster.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Main problem I keep running into is when reading reviews a lot of them have shorter cables, especially the power cable. I thought maybe someone would have first hand knowledge of which might be the best for full tower case for cable runs behind the MB plate

I had my eye on a Seasonic but I am still looking.

Yea, I am a cheap bastard and am hoping one goes on sale at Newegg for a great price before mine totally dies lol
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Well I bought this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817814019

ABS 1100W for $120 at the egg.

I really wanted full modular but I could not pass this up for the price.

Let's hope it works as good as the brand names. I think I read somewhere that ABS made some of those PSU's for the brand names, not sure.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Looks like newegg.com owns the abs brand. I read this forum: http://www.overclock.net/t/719750/comme ... r-supplies Just goes to show you that you get what you pay for. Who knows, it may be just what you need.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I read this - http://hardocp.com/article/2010/01/22/a ... ply_review - and it seems as long as you are not planning to max it out, it is a good PSU. Like the article says at the end, the original price was way too high for an 1100W PSU that should only be an 800W PSU.

We shall see. I am hoping to have time to install it today.

It just seems so illogical that you can get the brain of a computer for cheaper than you can get power. Dammit Scotty, where the hell is Spock when you need him!

Maybe I am just getting old and senile but the pricing on computer parts and accessories seems to be very wrong. In a world of $300 i7 CPU's you would think an easily made PSU would be a whole lot cheaper. Heck motherboards are cheaper than a PSU and the PSU just supplies power. Kinda like your power supply for your laptop costing more than the entire laptop costs LOL