Corsair GS800 loud fan when idle?

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Corsair GS800 loud fan when idle?

Post by DJ Tucker »

I have the Corsair GS800 and i know the fan only runs when it's gets warm or when the load is 20% or more but on idle my fan is on 75% of the time and it is annoying buzz/coil whine. however, when i'm gaming the fan rarely comes on. yesi do here it in game but it's annoying for my house mates as they can hear it to :( what can i do about this?
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Corsair GS800 loud fan when idle?

Post by Apoptosis »

Check this thread out and see if anything suggested can be done - http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85166
If you believe that your PSU is louder than it should be there are a few things you should check before assuming that the PSU is faulty. First, you should be aware of what can cause the noise that you are hearing. If you are hearing a buzz or electrical type sound, then it’s likely due to a capacitor somewhere in your system that is vibrating at a frequency which is clashing with the rest of the components in the system. Usually this capacitor is either on the PSU, motherboard, or graphics card and you should be able to try a few things to narrow down the issue.

We have seen that the CPU power saving features in the BIOS can cause the PSU to emit the noise. Try disabling these features to see if there is any improvement. ERP, C1E and EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology) are few examples of power saving settings, but your motherboard manufacturer should be able to tell you specifically which features your board supports.

We have also seen that some graphics card drivers can contribute to the sound as well. If the problems seem to get worse when loading a 3D application, try booting your system up into safe mode to see if you can still hear the sound. If the sound goes away, then your problem may be software related. We have found that enabling “vsync” in your graphics drivers options can eliminate the sound.

If the previous steps have not eliminated the sound, then you may want to test the PSU in a different system just to be sure that the sound follows the PSU. If it looks like there is a good chance that the PSU could be causing the problem, then please request an RMA
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

on;y thing on there i have not ttied is testing in another system. my system is very quiet when fan is not running but after a little research it turns out to be the fan in general. so why did corsair release this PSU if the fan makes this sounds :( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sLigZz1bxk
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

dude, if yours sounds like that just RMA it... That isn't right. It most certainly shouldn't sound like that. If they give you any RMA issues just let me know and I'll get involved for you. Corsair is a long time advertiser and supporter of LR and they have never not fully supported someone on our site.
Follow Me on Twitter!
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

My PSU is bottom mounted and i have a vent there so i can flip my PSU so it takes air from the bottom as to not obstructed airflow inside the case. but when the fan spins up then stops as it's cooled down it then makes this sound to stop this i flip the PSU so now the fan is on the inside of the case but will that disturb my gpu airflow and the rest of my case and would it potentially damage my PSU?
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

DJ Tucker wrote:My PSU is bottom mounted and i have a vent there so i can flip my PSU so it takes air from the bottom as to not obstructed airflow inside the case. but when the fan spins up then stops as it's cooled down it then makes this sound to stop this i flip the PSU so now the fan is on the inside of the case but will that disturb my gpu airflow and the rest of my case and would it potentially damage my PSU?
I wouldn't expect your case to make that much heat. I personally use a corsair AX650 PSU and the fan has never ever turned on.

Flipping it around will change the airflow a bit for sure, but by how much really depends. I couldn't imagine by that much. It should hurt your PSU unless the inside of your case is extremely hot 50C+ all year long, but I doubt that. Most PSU's are made with industrial components (105C) and are built for high-temperatures from day 1.

Just check your case and CPU core temps before and after the flip. I doubt it would change by more than 5C in a well ventilated case at load.
Follow Me on Twitter!
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

did this and your right the temps have made little difference. my GPU increase by 3c idle and 4c load, cpu 2c idle 2c load so happy with this. thx for you help apoptosis ;)
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D