Water Cooling Ideas

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Dude that rocks. Im thinking i need to do the same thing because im tired of being suck at 2.4ghz on my 2500m, this sucker should make 2.8 and to do that im going to need some good cooling and my lapped slk800 just aint cutting it.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I think between the two of us we can put our heads together and make a pretty nice rock pile. I will offer any help or advice that I can, please feel free to use me anytime, as I have you numerous times. If I can help you save any money it would make my day.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1050/

Joe knows what he is talking about, listen to the l33t masta.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

PUMP
http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProd ... =PON-02523

BLOCKS
Danger Den TDX w/ #4 nozzle
I actually recommend all DD blocks, just make sure you get some pads to put around your chipset and use zip ties.

RADIATOR
Heatercore, I have read alot about how the Black Ice series is horrible for system pressure, and way too expensive.
120mm fan
10 ft of 1/2 inch tubing
and add in the free barbs from that distributor and you are off to a good start for under $200
Sublime
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Sublime »

Right when you think you know all the uses of Tupperware you see something like this: Image

Capper if you do this you will have to let us know. Interesting design and looks like it can still be made better with some thought.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Thats a killer pump.

this is one of the best water block you can buy, but you need a strong pump to make it work well

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?Pa ... ProdID=108

its design is based off of this LINK and was licenced to D-TEK.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

All that thing needs now is some CCFL, or LED lighting :)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I actually thought about that. My theory was that air or water for that matter, would take the path of least resistance, which definitely wasn't through the fins of a radiator, so what I did was seal the fans to the rad with duct tape. It actually made a huge difference in the air flow.
I forgot about the D-Tek blocks, very good, but also hard to find, most of the places i looked were sold out.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Here's a little more reading on water blocks from Overclockers.com. The best production block they tested was the Astek block.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/wbsum.asp
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

This is the best block they tested to date.
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1047/

The block isn't in production yet, but should be soon............it's also a LOW FLOW system like Corsair's Hydrocool.......it's at the top of their list in performance.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Kits generally aren't very effective, except for the kit you brought up and use. The Corsair faired very well against everything when put into side by side testing, very impressive.
One thing to considerwhen using a kit though is the total load it can handle, in the Corsair case it is 200W, which would currently cool a Prescott 3.2 (103W) and a 9800 Pro (80W). Kits generally are made from very cheap and basic parts.
I would recommend putting together a setup yourself if at all possible, and using 1/2 tubing.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I was planning on (still am really) building my own external system. The only reason I'm using the Corsair system is because it was a contest prize........ :shock: .......... :D It works better than I had thought at first. But I has modded it somewhat form the factory setup, gutted some of the restrictive fitting and replaced some tubing, added a second 120mm rad fan, stuff like that. I hope to soon have the money together to build my own one of a kind system.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

You know, because it was a prize, it is the best system in the world (Free). LOL.
I'm not knocking the Corsair, I actually think for the price and what it can do it is great, I was just saying that prepackaged kits in general aren't as good as building yourself. You are actually mostly to blame for me putting so much time and energy into cooling solutions, you got me started on this. Be sure to share what you do and how you do it.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

*infinitevalence does the Capper's a MOD happy dance :)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Thanks man, check your PM when you have time.
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

I know you said people have tried to use dorm fridges for cases but I had an idea for you that might work. My uncle has a 12v powered Igloo cooler and I have seen smaller ones in stores around town. I was thingking that if the water isn't cooled too much and you insulate the heck out of your hoses so the warm air doesn't cantact the cold part of the hose maybe you could eliminate the condensation problem. I don't know how much cooling power you could get out of those 12v coolers but you could at least power it off your PSU with some tinkering and they aren't that expensive. I thought about using one as an air conditioner coil to cool the air in a case, you could have a drip pan that way as all the condensation should come of the coil/radiator just like your AC at home.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Using it as a water chiller would work and if you kept the hoses insulated then you would reduce the risk of condensation, but then you are going to have a hard time routing the hoses as they do not like tight bends any way. It is doable. but more likely you would just be better off with stright water cooling.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I thought I'd throw in a few pics of my newly modded heater core. It's a much easier mod than some I've seen and the copper adapters can be founf at most any plumbers shop of good hardware store................. :shock: Total cost of heater core mod plus parts.........$22.00

Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

you could try having a hydraulic hose place or auto house make you some aluminum braid hose that would bend better without crimping. That way it would be partially insulated already. Capper had said his next project was going to be a water cooler and that is the main reason I mentioned the 12v coolers. The air cooling idea was an afterthought. Oh on the aluminum hose you might have to use threaded fittings if thats possible on a CPU block. 1 Problem, you couldn't see the water flow so if the flow stopped you'd have to have a sensor but then you may anyway, not ever having worked with water cooling I don't know. I just thought I'd throw some ideas into the brainstorm.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

So did it pass the 25PSI air leak test? :lol: