External Water Box

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

External Water Box

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I got started on my external water box today. I'm making it out of a old AT tower I had laying around. I stripped it down to nothing and started cutting it down to the size I wanted. The box is going to have it's own modded PSU to power the pump and fans for the rad. I'm also going to be doing a bit of modding on the box, CCL, LED Fans and a window or 2. Here's a few pics of what I did so far. Total cost of project so far......nothing...... :twisted:
Before cutting:
After cutting:
Image[/url]
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

sweet, can't wait to see how this turns out!!!
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

It's going to be slow going buying the water cooling parts as I've got to buy one at a time cause money is a little tight right now. I've got most of everything to complete the box though, My friends dad works for a metal works company and gave me 2 2x3 foot sheets for heavy guage modders mesh, so that will help out alot......... 8)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

what kind of stuff are you looking at using?
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Here's a few more pics with the back and top on and one of my modded PSU. I still have to sleve the wires yet, but that will come after I figure out what type of fan controler I'm going to install........... :D On the PSU I removed the ATX cable, added a on/off wire and switch for front case mounting and rewired all the outputs for the different componets that I'm planning on installing. There is one rail for the 12v pump, 1 for the 2 120mm fans, 1 for case lighting and 1 for a fan controler with a normal 4 pin and a floppy connector, one will be removed after I get a fan controler/temp monitor.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I'm not totally sure on everything right now. The pump will be 1 of the current 12v models, the rad is going to be a dual 120mm heater core. Everything will be 1/2 inch. As for a rez, I'm planning on making my own...... :shock: Water blocks TBD at completion of the box......... 8)
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

This is the type of heater core I'm looking at getting.

http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Radiators/heatercore.asp

I'm trying to find 1 that size at a auto parts store, but if I can't, I'll get it from Danger Den.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

From what I have been told, the way to go is an 86 Chevette heatercore, that is what all these new radiators are based on because of the pressure drop. You will need to fabricate your own fan shrouds though. I heard that the heatercore will run about $20 at Checkers, etc. Danger Den wants $42.99 for theirs.
I do highly recommend the Danger Den 12V, you turned me on to that, but after all my research for my W/C part piece, I found that it was actually the best 12V pump you can get, and better than 99% of the other pumpsout there.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

two things one im pissed i leave for a few hrs to go see a movie and look what i miss :P

second try looking for a 77 bonevile heater core the make one that is all copper and one that is copper and brass from what i have read the copper ones are the best and will fit two 120mm fans almost perfectly.

the 77 is what i think i will start looking for soon ;) im thinking that koolance case needs an upgrade and some new threads.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

My buddy was doing watercooling about a year ago and we couldn't find a heater core that we liked to we got an idea... :idea: In missouri we have NAPA auto parts stores and in O'Fallon, MO they have a bigger warehouse that holds many of the local stock parts. We went there told them we were working on a custom project and they let us go from box to box looking at every heater core. We found a massive dual core and took it.

Although it would take some time I think it would be neat to again go to an autoparts store and do a search the "perfect" core for you.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

The heater core is going to fit along the entire right side of the case under the PSU rez area. Max size can be 7x14 inches. The one from Danger Den is 6 1/8x11, which is about the closest I've found so far.

I think it would be fun to run through a auto parts warehouse to find a great core........could save some money in the long run to I think...... :shock:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Just keep in mind that if your using a copper water block your going to need either an anodized aluminum heater core or a copper one. There are aditives that will keep corosion down but they will also reduce the preformance of the overall system. Thats why alot of people use the 77 bonivile because its all copper.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I always use a little Propylene Glycol in my cooling systems, low tox, bio-degradeable and keeps funny things from growing. It also keeps the water PH pretty much neutral. You should always use a little something in the water, just to be on the safe side............ :D
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

No dobut, but you want as little as you need thats why if your using copper blocks then you should stay with copper rad's. (god im itching to start a new project after looking at your pics)
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

A little update, been working on the box again today. I made a blank front pannel, sanded the new pannels and paintet the inside of the case and primed the top front and back. I still have the sides to make yet and decide on a color for the outside........I was going to polish the outsides but the sheet metal is of different grades and texture so that didn't work out the way I wanted. ........... :(

infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

This is looking good. I cannot wait to see the finished product.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Here's 2 more Pics of it put back together....... :)

BoxsterS258
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by BoxsterS258 »

Nice.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I checked online and our local Auto Zone has the Pontiac Bonniville heater cores in stock for $18.00. I'm going to have to run by there tomorrow and check them out. If they're what I'm looking for I'll pick one up. But from the specs I cross checked on it'll be just right. I think I'll check on DC water pumps while I'm there also....... :D
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Just a quick update, I picked up the heater core at Auto Zone today $19.26 with tax). I got the big one that fits 2 120mm fans on it, the one for the Pontiac Bonniville. I cut the tubes short tonight and I'll look for the right fittings tomorrow after work. This heater core is huge, it takes up the whole right side of the case I'm building. My wife gave me the OK to order the Danger Den 12v D4 pump, early birthday present.......I'll be ordering that tomorrow I guess.......... :shock: