Reviews of cooling/cases

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.

What kind of reviews do you want for cases and cooling

Cutting edge technology
11%
practical components
22%
low cost cases
No votes
water cooling components
22%
fans/ fan controllers
22%
extreme cooling solutions
22%

Total votes: 9

LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Reviews of cooling/cases

Post by LVCapo »

What do you guys want to see? Are there things out there that interest you, but you aren't sure whether you should take the plunge financially? Give me some ideas, either through email or PM. Tell me what interests you as far as cooling and cases go.
I am still working on the links to individual cooling components, a one day idea has turned into 3 days of scouring the net to find everything that might work, and be worthy of putting in your case.
Last edited by LVCapo on Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

When im looking for a case or products to append to my case i look at price and preformance first.

For cases i want to find cases that have good cooling, 120mm fan mounts, are attractive and have good moding potential. I also look for inovation that helps with preformance, moding and cooling. Some examples would be your new Coolermaster case that can accept two powersuplies and has room for the crossflow fan, or the Lian Li V2000. I want to find cases with features like this in a cost effective solution. Lian Li offer some nice features but the cost makes them poor choices for me as a moder and overclocker.

As for addons, i will start with fans: when i buy a fan again im looking at price/preformance. I want fans that have good acostic preformance as well as good cooling preformance, now i know that there is a trade off when it comes to this but some fans find a better balance than others. I also look at what other features the fans offer, such as thermal adjusments or led lighting. When it comes to other components the decision to buy comes down mostly to need. I ask myself do i need this will it help my system preform or does it have some form of astetic value that makes my case look and function better. A good example of this is a fan bus. While it would provide a usful function to my case i cannont justify the cost for one as i only have two 120mm fans both of which are LED so the need full power.

When it comes to water cooling i think i take a different aproche than others. I know that at the highend of water cooling there is little difference between products. where you realy need to research is when buying low end water cooling products as some will lower the overall preformance of a water system. Now some of this may chnage is i start to experiment with water.

Hope this helps you get an idea of what i think about when im looking at and researching new products for my computer.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Very articulate, and very good points. I think all of us look for cost efficiency. When you mod and tweak as much as we do, you need the flexibility that buying expensive parts don't give us. Like your fan controller. i bought the Hardcano 12, very good looking works great, but it doesn't have connectors for 4 pin fans, which means you need to buy something else alot of the time to connect it. It also won't keep your personalized setting after shutting down the power, which means every time you reboot, you need to reset how you want it to control things. I would love to have a controller that can handle my water pump, and my fans, so when I am not pushing the limits, I can cut back on the power usage and noise.
As to fans, i started using Panaflos a couple of months ago and love them, best fans ever with a good balance of cooling and noise, they push alot of air and are as quiet as most stock fans, the downside, they are a little more expensive than most.
I want these ideas so I can review some of these things. I want to know what interests you, and what you want to see. Everyone and their brother reviews waterblocks, but I have not seen a good comparison of radiators. I also want to see more reviews of cases. I think all of us would like to have a CM Stacker or Silverstone Nimiz, but I can think of alot better things to spend $200-300 on, there are some fine selections out there for $100 +/-, its just no one is writing about them.
I'm going to start writing reviews of things to help people, not just the coolest most cutting edge things, but the little things that are practical for those of us on a budget (recently imposed my my dictator wife!!!!!).
Anyway, please give me some ideas guys, what do you want to see?
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

One of the first things I would like to see are some pics of your personal cooling solution that you have been bragging about here lately :)...
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I've already posted pics (actually the link), haven't tinkered with it over that last week, trying to think of a good water chilling project and trying to dsave some pennies for my new motherboard... when did I brag?
http://gallery.cybertarp.com/thumbnails.php?album=17757
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I was just kidding about the bragging... Nice pics... can't wait till I have enought time to play with cooling/modding projects! :)
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Oh, I know you were just razzing me. My hobby is cooling and modding with a little O/Cing mixed in. I'm working hard on an integreted chiller/radiator, trying to find info etc on that right now. Also have been working on a post for the last week with links for cooling parts. I did that because when I was trying to put my setup together I couldn't find alot of good info, and wasn't sure about the best way to go... hopefully i'll help make it easier for people