New W/C pics

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

New W/C pics

Post by LVCapo »

I changed my setup on my case. thought that maybe changing the way I ran the lines would improve cooling. One 1/2 in tube runs from the radiator up to a Y Connector, from that connector, one line goes to the CPU, and back to the resevoir. The other line goes to the Chipset, then to the GPU, and back to the resevoir.
I thought the split lines would keep the assorted parts cooler, but that hasn't been the case. Any gain in water temp has been offset by a pressure loss in the system, it has actually caused my temps to rise from 34/30 to 36/31. I'm going to leave it like this, although temp is a little higher, it isn't enough to redo the whole system.
http://gallery.cybertarp.com/displayima ... 7757&pos=0
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Sorry dude I could have told you that you would see higher temps. :( its not just the pressure drop that a factor, water is lazy it goes where there is the least resistance, this means that one circuit has most of the flow while the other stays more stagnant. Then when you add in the pressure loss from the y connector you end up with a higher temp. My understanding is that water systems work best in series because the component with the highest pressure drop determines the pressure drop for the system. Series also works better because the water only has one path which distributes the heat more efficiently. Btw I got the koolance and that thing ROCKS!!! Thanks so much it got kind of trashed by UPS so I’m going to have to do a lot of work but damn that’s a cool case. I will show pictures when I get my girlfriends digital camera.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

From all the tests I've read on external systems, Koolance and Corsair do the best of them all. Corsair has a bit better air flow and a 120mm rad. I think the surface area of the 2 systems is about the same though. They are also the same type of rad, made by the same company in Korea............ :shock:
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I wasn't saying Corsair wasn't the best. In fact in the tests that I have seen, the Corsair EX is just as goo, if not better than alot of the more expensive, specialty boutique setups. I was just saying that that was an older review, and alot of systems have come out since then.
Plus, you use the Corsair and have always spoke highly of it. I was just pointing out that thermaltake actually makes an external W/C kit that mayches some of its cases, and i have heard that it too works very well
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Well, decided to take some time and re-tube my system. Basically went back to the orginal, but shortened some tubes to give myself a little more space. It was worth a shot, I figured the pump was strong enough that it could overcome the Y Connector, but that wasn't the case. Temps were on avg about 4C higher with the Y Connector... oh well, back to tinkering
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Sorry it didn't work out, I think your CPU block is to restrictive for that kind of setup....I like the old way better anyway.......... :D Tinkering is most of the fun for me anyway............ 8)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

yeah, everything is about tinkering and learning....you can never know too much, and what may not work for someone else may work for you and vise versa.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

That's the thing about computers and water cooling, no 2 systems perform alike, even if they are built the same............it's a strange world we live in.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Amen to that. I went back to a variation of the orginal design. Added some very nice fan shrouds, shortened the tubing, and mounted the resevoir on the side with zippies. I'm now thinking about using my Hardcano 12 to control the pump and fans, though I need to research whether it can handle it. I also need to find some good thermal tape to mount the temp probes.
http://gallery.cybertarp.com/thumbnails.php?album=17757