Water cooling help

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Water cooling help

Post by NAiLs »

Alright. My buddy Apop showed me the thread with Bio building his own water cooling system. I think it's a sweet ass idea. I might not have access to some of the tools to do such, but if I knew exactly what to do, hell, I'd do it.

I've got the Thermaltake Xaser III tower. The wire management system in this tower is terrible (non existent). You cannot place wires behind the motherboard due to a full panel and no openings. I figure I could cut some of that panel up, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. I have a lot of the wires together but there are still tons of wires to be dealt with. I love the case, but the wires and cooling aren't cutting it anymore. I got myself some AS5 thermal paste which lowered the core temperature about 3*, but it still runs warmer than I'd like. I currently run around 42.5* under light or no load and about 48-49* under heavy loads (gaming).

So, I've been tossing around the idea of getting/building my own water cooling system. I desperately want to rid of these TT Smart Case Fan 2's. They're noisy as hell, but do a good job at air cooling. I also want to rid of this Tornado 11 CPU heatsink as I'm afraid I'm going to damage my CPU next time I have to take it off. It's horrible. Apop said for me to get the Corsair HydroCool 200ex, but I'd like to know what else I could get. I was looking at frozencpu.com and pricing out a little kit there which ran about $230.

Soo... what can you fellas tell me about either building my own or buying a kit? I do NOT want a reservoir in my system at all. I hear of a bunch of people dumping that reservoir and that scares me! :P I have read some of the threads, but just want some input myself. I'd like to cool, at minimum, the CPU and GPU.

I'm looking to do this in August when I have more funds to do something.

Current System:

- Thermaltake Xaser III Case (Steel version, the one reviewed on this website)
- Asus A7N8X-E
- AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (333FSB 256k L2 Cache)
- ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
- Soundblaster Audigy X-Gamer
- 360w Enlight PSU
- Too many noisy fans

Thanks!

-Brian
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Brian,
Thermaltake actaully makes avery good external W/C kit, Thermaltake Aquarius III.
http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/aquarius/a1681.htm
It will actually even match you case, I believe they have a couple different colors that match the different cases they make.
As to the resevoirs, i have never had a problem, I chalk alot of those things I read about to ignorance, people not using teflon tape, or not using zip ties to secure their tubing.
You have a very big case, but a case that has alot of wiring and nott very good airflow (I had one and hated it). I always recommend Panaflo fans, they move a great amount of air and are comparativelty quiet as opposed to the smartfans.
As to your case, the poor airflow would not be condusive to an internal W/C kit ( you would be trying to cool the radiator with mostly warm internal air. I would recommend either the Thermaltake Aquarius III, or the Corsair Hydrocool EX200, both do a very good job, the TT might look better though.
As to buying your own components, check out the post "W/C kits", I linked just about every worthwhile kit as well as individual components.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I can say that the Corsair Hydrocool works pretty well for a external kit, it keeps my current system under 40c with a room them of 24c. It's not as good as a DIY system but it does about the best of all the externat systems. Here's a link to Overclockes.com Kit ratings:
http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/waterkit.asp

The system I'm building is going to be much much better (I Hope). Also, Corsair is coming out with some new stuff in the next few months that is supposed to blow the current Hydrocool away, so keep your eyes open............. :shock:
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

That is a good review, but kind of outdated, there is alot of newer stuff that has come out since thats been written.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

It's of the first Hydrocool........the 200ex works a bit better (better surface on the water blosk, different fan and a few other minor things.......... :D
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Ah... thanks! I'll look more into this tonight when I get home from work!
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

I'm now contemplating between the Corsair and the Thermaltake. Apop and I talked for a while the other day regarding my BIOS, but before he hung up, I asked him about the water cooling stuff. He recommended the Corsair due to the fact that it has a 120mm fan and the TT has a 80mm fan. I saw in another review, that TT left a blank space for what could have been another fan. Can you actually put another fan on there, or is this just something they completely left out for production?

I honestly like how the TT one looks over the Corsair, but what is the performance difference. I'm really looking to cool my CPU so I can OC a bit higher than I am now.

Any input is appreciated.

-Brian
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

From a pure performance point of view I would recommend the Corsair, it is widely believed to be the best external cooling system. On another note though, have you thought about an internal cooling system? those thermaltake cases are normally big ebough to house a cooling unit. you should look into that before you make a final decision.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

As far as external systems go I don't think you'll find any better than the Corsair Hydrocool. I've be running mine for a while now and I've had no problems. It cools well, not as well as some of the high end systems, but well enough for the average Overclocker. They are also somewhat moddable if you want to get a bit more out of the system. Or you could build a nice internal system and get more out of the CPU. If you're really into modding you could always build your own external system, but that's a ton of work to do right.......... :shock:
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Is there maybe an external system that has a little more eye candy and performs as good if not better than the Corsair? That's really the only thing I don't like about the Corsair to be honest. I like the setup, and for one like there there are zero springs in the tubes. I think Nate said there is only one in the optional northbridge block, that's it.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

why not get the corsair and mod it yourself? That way you have the functionality of the Hydrocool, and the bragging rights of how it looks. You probably won't find anything as good,in an external kit...thats the drawback to buying something prefabbed as opposed to buying components yourself.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I aggree with capper if you want a prefab then get the corsair and mod it. but you will allways be better of, money and cooling wise, makeing your own custom set up.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

You can get better temps out of a put together system, but I don't think you can get it cheaper......... :shock: The Corsair Hydrocool 200EX goes for $200 and a good GPU water block is around $35 ...... :D
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I wish Apop would make my W/C kit guide a sticky **hint hint**, there are some really good links to smaller cheaper kits up through the expensive stuff, and even most of the external kits.
For $250 you could get the polarflo, water block set ($149 for the CPU,Chipset, and GPU) which is supposed to be the best around, $10 more for all the 1/2 inch tubing you could use and zip ties at your local hardware stor, then $45 for heater core with fans and shrouds, and probably another $40-50 for a decent pump.
Seriously, with the size of the Thermaltake cases, you have enough room for internal W/C, if you seriously want an external kit, go with the Hydrocool like Bio said, he knows his stuff as well as anyone here, and mod it yourself. Whatever you decide, we'll be here to help.
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

What kind of mods can one do to a Corsair? I honestly have no clue.... or even if it's worth mod'ing a prefab unit.

Thanks!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

not worth it

p.s. capper... you are a mod! you can sticky it also! ;)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

HEY MAN... I resemble that remark. My wife wants to mod me.....she sent me a link to vascectomy.com "It's easier than you think"

NOT!!!!!!!!
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

As to modding the Corsair, I was just talking about astetically (sp), If you just don't like how it looks, spray paint it, or throw some tinsel on it , or wipe some of that CHIA PET stuff on it and watch it grow
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

tell her you'll do it only if you write a guide for it... LMAO :toimonster:
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

First of all it hurts just thinking about it.
Second, I told her we already have the best contraceptive in the world....we're married. Needless to say I was free all night to do research on the net.