Fan Controllers

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Fan Controllers

Post by Merlin »

I am thinking about getting a fan controller and some new fans( panaflo) and was wondering what you guys recommend in both areas. I figure you want as high speed a fan as you can get since you can always slow it down to a near stop with the controller. Is my thinking right?
Xerxes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Xerxes »

not exactly true, alot of the controllers will go between 7 and 12v and some are able to totally turn off the fans, i have a vantec nexus i used and will use again in a second computer. very nice as long as you dont mind the blue leds surrounding each knob (though you could disable them if you really wanted to) .
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I use a Harcano 12 fan controller. I hate it, looks nice, but the fans never run at full speeds, and every time you turn off your system, it doesn't keep your settings.
I have heard very good things about the vantec fan controller, and it isn't that expensive. Personally, I don't think you need one. The first thing I would do is to get a good heatsink and fan combo, a thermalright and a panaflo would probably be as good as any. You can run the panaflo off your mobo. I don't think the noise would be too noticeable if you leave the case cover on. I also think that if you are worried about air flow, try one of the ducting mods i linked to, that will keep you from cutting your case and will bring cool air onto your CPU. This total should cost you around $50, maybe a bit more with shipping.