Liquid Nitrogen or Freon Cooling System

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
zparker
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Liquid Nitrogen or Freon Cooling System

Post by zparker »

In the off topic forum someone made a joke about liquid nitrogen cooling the keychain radiation detecter.

If you used Brass piping soldered all the joints and insulating all the pipes to prevent as much condensation as possible, would this work?

Does liquified Nitrogen evaporate if contained in a sealed enclosure?
I found out it turns back into a gas:( so you have to constantly add more.

I think that if the condensation was eliminated then this would work very well. The only drawback would be the temperature of -190c so it would almost be impossible to stop the condensation and frost.

On that note you could use a small compressor and use Freon (r134a or r12 if you have the hook up) which is cheap and easy to aquire. Pull a vacuum and charge the system. You are guaranteed to have a freon temp of -6~2c if charged correctly, and you have a good condensor/evaporator. The condensation should be able to be contained.

I think this would be cool to do but...

while researching the temperature and idea i found it has been done. With very good results. pentium 3.1 to 5.25ghz (4.7ghz stable at -190c)

I bet my second idea would work since the temps are not as cold and would be maintaince free for the most part.

What do yall think?
EVGA nForce 680i SLI board, XFX GeForce 7950GT@641/1244, Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (4-4-4-12) 2.1v, Core 2 Duo E6400 (3.0ghz) at 56c max stock cooling, 2 Seagate Barracuda sata 3.0gb 320gb not raid yet and 550watts

old board at 3.2 stock videocard settings / new board at 3.0 oc video card / 3.2 & oc video card

3dmark 2003 score= 22851 / 25262 / 25767
3dmark 2005 score= 10220 / 11764 / not yet
Indignity
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Indignity »

I had a similar idea & posted a question about cooling my system with LOX (Liquid Oxygen) on another forum since I have access to it. The thing that was brought up is the efficiency of cooling a system with a sub-ambient type of liquid/gas kind of negates itself over a "longer" period of time.

Or in simple layman's terms, not worth the trouble lol...

If you are thinking of doing this, phase-change seems to be the best route to achieve sub-zero temps if you so desire.
Intel Core2Duo e6600 @ 3.78GHz/1.47v n ASUS P5N-E sli n 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2 8500(currently 5-5-5-15-2t) n FSP Group (Fortron) FX Series FX700-GLN-E 700W Power Supply n APEVIA X-Navigator ATXA8NW-AL Case n eVGA GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 n 1.25TB Seagate Barracudas(3 setup as hot-swap) n AuzenTech XMYSTIQUE7.1 Sound Card n Innovatek Eheim HPPS Plus 12V WaterPump n Danger Den TDX CPU block n Swiftech MCR320-QP (3x120mm) Radiator
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

phase would be better down the road and less work on your end... It can be done though if you want to try it..
zparker
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zparker »

Phase? what is that.

I dont thing sub zero would be needed freon would work just fine and can acheive temps of 18F which i got out of a volkswagen passat vent one time after i rebuilt the ac system.
EVGA nForce 680i SLI board, XFX GeForce 7950GT@641/1244, Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (4-4-4-12) 2.1v, Core 2 Duo E6400 (3.0ghz) at 56c max stock cooling, 2 Seagate Barracuda sata 3.0gb 320gb not raid yet and 550watts

old board at 3.2 stock videocard settings / new board at 3.0 oc video card / 3.2 & oc video card

3dmark 2003 score= 22851 / 25262 / 25767
3dmark 2005 score= 10220 / 11764 / not yet
Indignity
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Indignity »

I hope I'm not breaking the rules by posting a link to another forum, but here goes....

Click Me!

Frozen CPU Has them prebuilt & for sale

Staff, if it's inappropriate to link to these sites, please remove them & spank me later :axe:
Intel Core2Duo e6600 @ 3.78GHz/1.47v n ASUS P5N-E sli n 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2 8500(currently 5-5-5-15-2t) n FSP Group (Fortron) FX Series FX700-GLN-E 700W Power Supply n APEVIA X-Navigator ATXA8NW-AL Case n eVGA GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 n 1.25TB Seagate Barracudas(3 setup as hot-swap) n AuzenTech XMYSTIQUE7.1 Sound Card n Innovatek Eheim HPPS Plus 12V WaterPump n Danger Den TDX CPU block n Swiftech MCR320-QP (3x120mm) Radiator
id86
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by id86 »

i think phase change is better...if using liquid nitrogen,the cost is the bomb.besides,it need more maintenance and have to very careful in the process since it related to below zero degree temperature. if not well taking care, maybe some problem will occur like frost...
id86
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by id86 »

i think phase change is better...if using liquid nitrogen,the cost is the bomb.besides,it need more maintenance and have to very careful in the process since it related to below zero degree temperature. if not well taking care, maybe some problem will occur like frost...
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

zparker wrote:Phase? what is that.

I dont thing sub zero would be needed freon would work just fine and can acheive temps of 18F which i got out of a volkswagen passat vent one time after i rebuilt the ac system.
Indignity's first link seems a pretty good explanation (though I didn't read all of it). Here's the short of it as far as phase change goes...

Think of an air compressor, when the compressor is turned on, it compresses more gas into a smaller space, thus increasing pressure. According to PV~T (Ideal Gas Law), as the Pressure (P) raises and the Volume (V) is constant, the T must rise. Now let that sit in a reservoir a minute so T equals the surrounding temp and uncompress it. As the P drops, so must the T and thats a basic look at how it works (This is how your fridge works and I believe how most A/c units work)
*The size of tubes represents pressure, not volume*

To get a clear idea of the first part, pump up a bike tire with a hand pump really fast...the tire will be slightly warm from the rapid increase in pressure.

A clear idea of the second part, next time you clean you keys with compressed air, pay attn to the temp as you spray, as the pressure in the can drops, so does the temp.

:drinkers:
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

how hot are these computers getting that they need liquid nitrogen to cool them? I think cooling the current heat problem is a secondary concern, while fixing the computer so it doesnt spontaneously combust. are you guys pushing your 800 mhtz celeron to 3 gigs or something?
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

vicaphit wrote:how hot are these computers getting that they need liquid nitrogen to cool them? I think cooling the current heat problem is a secondary concern, while fixing the computer so it doesnt spontaneously combust. are you guys pushing your 800 mhtz celeron to 3 gigs or something?
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=159553

:roll:
Indignity
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Indignity »

vicaphit wrote:how hot are these computers getting that they need liquid nitrogen to cool them? I think cooling the current heat problem is a secondary concern, while fixing the computer so it doesnt spontaneously combust. are you guys pushing your 800 mhtz celeron to 3 gigs or something?
LOL @ Zertz.... Was that yours?

Yeah short runs at extremely high clock speeds for the CPU. Obviously, throwing more power to the CPU is going to generate a huge amount of heat, thus the reason for the sub-zero temp liquids.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Indignity wrote:

Yeah short runs at extremely high clock speeds for the CPU. Obviously, throwing more power to the CPU is going to generate a huge amount of heat, thus the reason for the sub-zero temp liquids.
No lol, world record by "ThuG Team Italy"

Just noticed voltage in CPU-Z is greyed out... I wonder how high they modded it :roll:
id86
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by id86 »

Zertz wrote:
Indignity wrote:

No lol, world record by "ThuG Team Italy"

Just noticed voltage in CPU-Z is greyed out... I wonder how high they modded it :roll:
do you what cooling that team use? i also had read team from japan also reach that speed...hot lol
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

id86 wrote:do you what cooling that team use? i also had read team from japan also reach that speed...hot lol
Liquid nitrogen.
id86
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by id86 »

somebody know,how to maintain the phase for the liquid nitrogen?
so costly to refill back..
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

id86 wrote:somebody know,how to maintain the phase for the liquid nitrogen?
That would be quite an expensive system...the whole point behind using nitrogen is that the temperature it melts and evaporates is quite low so as the nitrogen melts, it keeps it's surroundings at a fairly constant (very low) temperature. Once the nitrogen is gas, it evaporates away. Of course, you could contain all that nitrogen and basically refreeze it back into a liquid or solid but that is quite a serious venture in itself (http://van.physics.uiuc.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1694)

on a side note, you can make a rather loud BOOM!! by putting liquid nitrogen in a 2L bottle and sealing it up. Dont ever do this as it can and probally will blow out your eardrums along with every window within a mile...(I live out in BFE, but I would never do something like that...) Seriously though, it is VERY loud, not that I would know first hand of course :roll: .
id86
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by id86 »

wow....sound interesting.if i got enough money, for sure i will choose this cooling...and of course make the BOMMM thingy....lol
Nein

Post by Nein »

id86 wrote:somebody know,how to maintain the phase for the liquid nitrogen?
They're called liquid helium recovery systems, usually they are built using a scroll type compressor, or at least the better and more reliable liquid helium recovery systems do.

You can find them most often where hi-field super-conducting magnets are being used such as small ones in research universities, MRI/NMR facilities, or hi-energy Nuclear and Atomic physics facilities.

When you are inside a super-conductive MRI/NMR scanner ready to be scan, often you will hear a constant strange repetitive chirping noise. That's the liquid helium recovery scroll compressor at work.

Try here for more info.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

8ghtz...wow

Im guessing they couldnt sustain that for more than a few minutes. I guess that celeron clocked to 3ghtz isnt so far of a stretch :)
tedstokes168
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by tedstokes168 »

I have to make the ref I just cant help myself... Does anyone remember that scene at the end with Wesley Snipes in Demolition Man? I REALLY dont want to use LN in my system tomorrow or in a decade from now, not after seeing that! Imagine trying to repair it and a crack happens! :shock: