No more contests?

A place for us to say thank you to our community by offering hardware contests! This is the place to be to check out and sign up for contests that Legit Reviews holds. If you don't like the prizes or how the contests are being run just don't enter and wait till the next contest!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

No more contests?

Post by sbohdan »

The last contest was in Nov 2012 - nothing since. Companies do not give away hardware for this purpose anymore or is there another reason? Will there be no more contests on LR?
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No more contests?

Post by Apoptosis »

It's just me that was running them and i got pretty burnt out. Many people were very pushing about things after winning (demanding tracking numbers, wanting specific shipping companies and even wanting different colors on the items they won). Most of the winnings were shipped from the companies sponsoring the prizes, so I had little control over much of that. Back in 2011 I spent nearly $750 on shipping out of my pocket for the contest, so it can be costly.

To top that all off, many of the forum winners here turned out to be staff on other hardware review sites. So, the contests that were meant to go to our readers and regular folks were going to other review site staff members. Just felt kinda pointless at the end there.

If you or any of our forum members are willing to help run and organize contests I'd be happy to bring them back and hook up those that help with some hardware or something of the sort in return for helping out. This goes to sbohdan or any other forum member that doesn't work for another review site.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

I see. As I was looking at the posts under the last contest in Nov. 2012, I saw something very evident: most people who wanted to enter, had 1-4 posts here on legit all together, so they just never posted anything, anytime except in the contest thread. I would of make sure to exclude all the Goofs who just posted to enter the contest but were never real members by limiting it to those members, who had IN THE PAST at least 50 posts! This way you could of have real Legit members on the contest. As for help, I would - just tell us what kind of help you need - I will do it if I can. You could also write a short disclaimer as a rule: something like all who complain on their winning (color, tracking numbers etc.) will automatically loose the item they won and someone else would be drawn in a case like this. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to help boss :rolleyes:
I also understand the contests were made with hope of getting new members but I would rather concentrate on KEEPING old members! I think, If there is a hard core of members, who are active on the forum, then new members will come anyway, seeing that the site is active and busy. I think it would be worth to try.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yup and many of the people that had 1-4 posts were from the same IP :)

Shoot me an e-mail form the contact page of the main site and we'll chat about it.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Mike10
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Mike10 »

Apoptosis wrote:It's just me that was running them and i got pretty burnt out. Many people were very pushing about things after winning (demanding tracking numbers, wanting specific shipping companies and even wanting different colors on the items they won). Most of the winnings were shipped from the companies sponsoring the prizes, so I had little control over much of that. Back in 2011 I spent nearly $750 on shipping out of my pocket for the contest, so it can be costly.

To top that all off, many of the forum winners here turned out to be staff on other hardware review sites. So, the contests that were meant to go to our readers and regular folks were going to other review site staff members. Just felt kinda pointless at the end there.

If you or any of our forum members are willing to help run and organize contests I'd be happy to bring them back and hook up those that help with some hardware or something of the sort in return for helping out. This goes to sbohdan or any other forum member that doesn't work for another review site.
Hi Nate, good to speak with you again. :)

It looks to me like those winners were unappreciative douchebags with all those unreasonable demands. No wonder you got burnt out.

I'm willing to help out with competitions, so please let me know next time you put one on. 8)
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

Yea, contests are great, but as Nate said, lots of issues and being a pain in the rear.

I've always thought the word search through reviews are good, gets people to read the reviews (yes I know there's ways to bot those searches).

As for those whiners, just have to specify how things are shipped, color of item, etc is out of our control. The ones providing the prizes are the ones that get to make that selection. People will always whine though lol It's a losing battle.

Good luck on the contests, more than willing to help out if needed.
Spamburger
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Spamburger »

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about24645.html
The graphic design contest has perhaps been my favorite so far and perhaps the most memorable. A Facebook post by AMD helped with exposure and was actually how I "discovered" this site and became a regular reader. Of course, lots of dishonesty went on during that contest along with posts of witchhunting, fingerpointing, confusion, and other feelings. Goes to show that greed and any commitment of effort will drive sentiments of entitlement.