Learned a lesson today...

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Learned a lesson today...

Post by bubba »

Learned a good lesson this morning, when you go to format a drive at work and the machine your working on it not plugged into a UPS, ya might want to double check with the maintenance department if they are working on the power lines in your area or to your office. :axe:

about 60% on a drive format and the power to my office got cut, purely by accident, resulting in a brick of a hard drive that can't be used :evil:.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Learned a lesson today...

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

omg WOW!!!!!!

Thank you for being the guinea pig. LOL
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I'm just glad that is was just a little 15gb drive, nothing expensive. What sucks though is now I have to use one of my nice spare 40gb drives in a POS win98 machine that is just used as a pass through for a CNC machine :roll:

Oh well, live and learn.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

bubba wrote:I'm just glad that is was just a little 15gb drive, nothing expensive. What sucks though is now I have to use one of my nice spare 40gb drives in a POS win98 machine that is just used as a pass through for a CNC machine :roll:

Oh well, live and learn.

But, you never know if the extra space is really needed in the not so distant future for a very large CNC job to get done. Or, if the job gets programed sent to that machine and the main machine looses the data! This has happened at out place. Whether someone cleans the hard drive for space or the data is so old that it gets dumped. But, usually in a month someone asks remember when we made those widgets with the special groove? Oh well, it's good to know that the space is available if needed on that machine.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

LOL on this particular machine its used as a glorified drill press, all the G code files are less than 3kb in size. The 1,000 or so parts that are run on it didn't take up a whole lot of space.
-Thomas Jefferson
dkarko
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by dkarko »

Hehe ye unfortunately this how you usually learn these lessons. At least you didnt have to worry about data.
I got mine few years ago with 10gig+ wasted data (i was lucky though, most of them were from "Program Files" folder. But, i can still find some messed up tracks deep inside the music folder.
The lesson i learnt was: Be sure that the power cord is attached to your PSU firmly, before by accident you push it a bit trying to reach a cable while shrinking from its beginning a 60gig almost full partition 8)
:supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz:
=D> =D> =D>

(Didnt know much about data recovery then and neither i do now. :( )
"Παν ΜέτÏ