HUGE dips in hd tach

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

HUGE dips in hd tach

Post by hercules71185 »

I am getting MASSIVE dips in HD tach, I'm also having harddrive useage when I'm doing nothing. Before I got this thing put together someone decided to put it next to a speaker and it was done and couldnt' load windows. I reinstalled windows and it seems to work, just REALLY slow at times. I think the hard drive might be going. Can you tell from an HD Tach screenshot?
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: HUGE dips in hd tach

Post by Zertz »

I have the exact same drive, I'll fire up HDTach tomorrow and see how it does compared to yours
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

awesome, I think it's bad because of it but, I'm also having some motherboard troubles. I've just never seen dips like that in any screen shot. That was actually one of the least amount of dips I've got so far.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

you'll get dips if windows defender is on or you just booted the system and the memory is still being loaded... Also you need to close the side bar and any/all applications to get a clean chart... If you shut everything down it should smooth out more.

Good luck picking up the bed frame today ;)
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

haha thanks, I found the culprit anyways!!! There is this program called RADclock I was testing for my video card. Well it somehow infected my computer. Might not be a virus but, man my computer hated it. I couldn't right click on windows. It was running awful. I'm still getting dips even when EVERYTHING is idle. I think my HD is going out on me. AT least my computer can open folders now. =D>
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

hercules71185 wrote:haha thanks, I found the culprit anyways!!! There is this program called RADclock I was testing for my video card. Well it somehow infected my computer. Might not be a virus but, man my computer hated it. I couldn't right click on windows. It was running awful. I'm still getting dips even when EVERYTHING is idle. I think my HD is going out on me. AT least my computer can open folders now. =D>
Are the dips in the same spot on the platter or are they in different positions every time?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

the dips vary in size, but, the same spots. Sometimes it goes down to 40mb/sec sometimes to 10mb
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

well, I got rid of Vista something I've never had problems with. HD tach perfect, no more freezing, no games shut down... weird. I guess I found the bugs people complain about with Vista. ATi and Vista don't mix I suppose. And my motherboard and intel doesn't either.