Home NAS

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
FZ1

Home NAS

Post by FZ1 »

I've been thinking about picking up a NAS lately but there are SO many out there, I'm having a hard time picking one I want to go with. I'll basically be using it to store my music, vids, pics and other archived docs in a RAID 1 or 5 configuration. I will likely be connecting from all my computers and media boxes (XBOX360) in the house over the wireless network. The NAS should hold 2-3 drives, 3 being preferable.
This is one that I am considering but I'm not sure if it overkill for what I need. Having never used a NAS before, I don't have a point of reference.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822107028
Joe
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Home NAS

Post by Illuminati »

I love my QNAP... it may seem like overkill, but it is a lot of fun playing with all the bells and whistles... and it just works. No need to take the time to install and configure your own NAS, QNAP's utilities are easy to use. You may actually find that you want to start using some of the features that you didn't think you would once you have it.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
lyh
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by lyh »

Highly recommended Thecus N5500 for someone needing large amounts of storage in a small form-factor! RAID 5 speed is very good and super easy setup.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I ended up getting the Synology TS-209...no complaints so far.
Joe
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

I got the thecus n4100pro that was reviewed here. Its cheap comparatively, has hot swap, 2x gig-E, Raid and drive migration...the list goes on! I love it and strongly recommend it.
Yifen
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Yifen »

I got one Thecus N3200PRO at home, and it's working just like I wanted.

I'm happy with the compact size (between 2 and 4 bays, 3-bay is just perfect for me), and I can do RAID 5 with 3 drives.
Also it works well with my Mac :)