Which SSD?

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
DL126
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Which SSD?

Post by DL126 »

80+ Gig
Windows 7 Pro
$300.00 maximum

Your input please ....
FZ1

Re: Which SSD?

Post by FZ1 »

Intel's seem to be the best performing out there right now but as of this moment they do not support TRIM but will be coming out with revised firmware to do so very soon.

Make sure you pick a drive that came out in recent months and has an upgradeable controller firmware option. If you settle on a few, post up and we can chime in on what we think. We have quite few SSD reviews up now so check them out on the main site.
Joe
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

FZ1 wrote:Intel's seem to be the best performing out there right now but as of this moment they do not support TRIM but will be coming out with revised firmware to do so very soon.

Make sure you pick a drive that came out in recent months and has an upgradeable controller firmware option. If you settle on a few, post up and we can chime in on what we think. We have quite few SSD reviews up now so check them out on the main site.
Actually Intel drives do support TRIM now - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1112/1/

The Intel drives are great and are still considered to be the top dog, so keep the Gen 2 34nm Intel X25-M drives on your short list. The Kingston 40GB Boot Drive is based off the Intel Gen 2 technology, so keep that one in mind as well.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Apoptosis wrote:
FZ1 wrote:Intel's seem to be the best performing out there right now but as of this moment they do not support TRIM but will be coming out with revised firmware to do so very soon.

Actually Intel drives do support TRIM now - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1112/1/
I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag until you published the article :)
Joe
DL126
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL126 »

Thanks guys ....
I just finished reading the article Apop.
Suppose the 160 GB Intel is the way we'll go.

There are so many numbers, ratings, choices, sizes .... ect.
Damn it gets confusing quickly!

I'm ordering 2 of these primarily because I trust you guys.
I've been here a while and I don't believe any of you would say they were the best if they weren't!
DL126
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL126 »

Well ... don't know if I'm $600+ impressed.

I can visibly see some things are indeed faster.
But my Windows score actually went down from where it was before.
I was running 3 64GB Raptors in RAID 0 before.

And QuickBooks is STILL slow to launch! ... what a freaking P.O.S. software that is.
DL126
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL126 »

Update =
After reading some on the Intel SSD forum, I found out that TRIM isn't supported through the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.

Even though I'm not running a RAID setup, I was using the IMSM driver to run the drive. This resulted in a Windows Experience Score of 5.9 on the drive.
Uninstalled the software, thereby going back the generic MS ACHI driver. Windows score then went up to 7.8 on the SSD.