New Kingston SSD drives...G1 or G2

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
bluedragon9r
Legit User
Legit User

New Kingston SSD drives...G1 or G2

Post by bluedragon9r »

Does anyone have any information on the new versions of the Kingston SSDNow "M" series drives? (new model numbers SNM225-S2 vice the old SNM125-S2)

I know they're rebranded Intel drives, but I can't find anything that says for sure if they're the G2 drives or not. The only evidence I have is a picture of the new version Kingston 160GB drive label from Newegg that has a model number of "SSDSA2M160G2GC" which looks a lot like the Intel G2 model number..

I've also heard the Kingston drives WILL accept the Intel firmware updates, and I've heard they won't. I have heard they work fine with the Intel SSD toolbox though...

I ordered one of the 160GB drives before they ran out, and I'm wondering if I should keep it or send it back unopened..
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Kingston SSD drives...G1 or G2

Post by Apoptosis »

so, on the SSDNow M series...

You are correct Kingston just re-labels Intel drives and has both Gen 1 and Gen 2 Intel drives that they are selling (just like intel).

SNM225-S2 - Gen 2
SNM125-S2 - Gen 1

As for pictures from Newegg I don't go by them ever since they are sometimes wrong and you are putting your faith in someone that you don't know or should trust.

Kingston SSDNow M series drives will accept Intel firmware updates.

It gets tricky when you mix in the Kingston 40GB V Series Boot Drive... That is an Intel Gen 2 drive, but you can't update the firmware on it. I tired in this article - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1111/3/

As you can see the Intel firmware update failed to detect any Intel drives as being present.

I think you are getting confused because the product stack is tricky if you don't follow it religiously. Hope this helps you out some!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
bluedragon9r
Legit User
Legit User

Re: New Kingston SSD drives...G1 or G2

Post by bluedragon9r »

Thanks for the quick response!

The picture on Newegg was my only clue, since I couldn't find anything definate anywhere..Kingston should at least advertise the "34nm" thing somewhere on their webpage!

I've been reading articles for days trying to decide on an SSD. Finally picked the Intel G2 series, and then found out that everyone was either out of stock or charging $150 over MSRP..Then I saw that Kingston and jumped on it. And of course started asking questions about this stuff AFTER I got the shipping e-mail. :)

Good to have some confirmation that I got the drive I wanted..and for $470 too..Newegg went out of stock again on this drive about an hour after my order was in.

Now I just have to wait for the post office...

Thanks again!