Kingston SSDNow vs HDD Comparison Video

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kingston SSDNow vs HDD Comparison Video

Post by Apoptosis »

Here is a Kingston video that details the benefits of choosing a Solid-State Drive over a traditional hard drive.

Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Kingston SSDNow vs HDD Comparison Video

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

So I take it all the issues with SSD drives have evaporated? Something with how it wrote to the flash chips, or it gets slower after formatting it the first time etc.. ????
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

If you buy a decent SSD (tell-tale sign is the ease of updating the drive's firmware), then yes they pretty much have the kinks ironed out.

If you're running windows 7 and the SSD drive supports TRIM, then the drive will stay in tip top condition for it's lifetime. :)
Even without that combo, the firmware on most of the drives now can cope pretty well with the drive filling up and you won't notice too much performance loss (it's only a few percent)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
MediaMunkey
Legit User
Legit User

Post by MediaMunkey »

From what I understand it's really not a good idea to buy an SSD without TRIM support, and certainly only one with an Intel or Indilinx chip.
The others are generally old and have very poor performance, especially considering the extra cost of an SSD over an HDD.