OCZ Vertex 2 Pro - SandForce Drive with Battery Backup?

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

OCZ Vertex 2 Pro - SandForce Drive with Battery Backup?

Post by Apoptosis »

I'm not sure how many of you have heard, but OCZ is coming out with a second generation Vertex drive called the Vertex 2. LR touched on this here during our CES coverage at the start of this month. We were told that these new drives would feature SandForce controllers and that they would have a 'battery' backup in them. This was fairly interesting as if a power failure happened the drive could finish writing data before it died thanks to a large 'super capacitor' called the Cap-XX. Some of the early previews showed this being inside the drive:
vertex2_capxx.jpg
vertex2_capxx.jpg (36.02 KiB) Viewed 3809 times
Notice the big silver thing that says CAP-XX on it. That would be the 'battery backup' that is in question here. I just recently got my Vertex 2 Pro drive for testing and noticed that it doesn't contain this part at all.
vertex2_no_capxx.jpg
vertex2_no_capxx.jpg (39.14 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
I asked OCZ about it and found this out. I figured it was worth sharing with our readers.
This will NOT be present on the consumer class devices Vertex2, and Vertex2 Pro. This will only be on our enterprise class Deneva product line. Basically what it's for is in event of a sudden power loss the drive will go into a mode where it will focus on completing write commands using the power in the super cap. Its only enough for a short burst, but it's enough to get the job done. This is important on SSDs more so than HDDs in enterprise. On an HDD when write caching is turned off, the last write command is lost, but the rest of your data is secure. On standard SSDs because of the nature of Flash and Flash management it is not typically possible to guarantee data integrity on sudden power loss. The enterprise class Deneva Series will be the first high performance readily available SSD that guarantees data integrity on sudden power loss. As a bonus effect the last write does in fact complete so no data is lost.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: OCZ Vertex 2 Pro - SandForce Drive with Battery Backup?

Post by gwolfman »

It probably only cost a few dollars anyways, too bad it's not included. Probably only to force enterprises to purchase the more expensive version. [-X
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

gwolfman wrote:It probably only cost a few dollars anyways, too bad it's not included. Probably only to force enterprises to purchase the more expensive version. [-X
Enterprise customers don't care about pricing, even if the consumer version had the battery they still wouldn't go near them.
In fact most enterprise customers won't go near SSD's at all.
The vast majority just run RAID5 on SCSI or SAS drives.
It's proven technology, even if it's slower and uses more power the lower chance of hardware failure is the main reason why sys admins won't go near them, not to mention the crap users have to go through with garbage collection, trim support etc.
shamrok3
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by shamrok3 »

Just get a UPS :) O:)
Multiple Exclamation marks - The first sign of an unsound mind.

Rig: Intel 3930K, Noctua U12P-SE2 , ASUS P9X79, 16GB RAM, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3, 2x3TB Seagate (RAID 0), 1TB Samsung F3, EVGA GTX760, CM 650 Watt PSU
NZXT HU002 Case, LG Blu-Ray Writer/Combo
21.5" BenQ E2200HD @ 1920x1080, Razer Lachesis/Lycosa/Sennheiser HD558, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

shamrok3 wrote:Just get a UPS
Then what if your server PSU goes down?

Interesting concept, we'll see how it goes. :)
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell