RAID fails rebuild at 40%

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
KnightRid

RAID fails rebuild at 40%

Post by KnightRid »

I have a Promise FastTrak TX4310 raid card with 4 1tb drives on it running RAID 5 using 3 drives and the 4th is a hot spare. Told me the raid array was corrupt and tried to rebuild but every time it stops at 40% complete.

I removed the one drive that seemed to be causing problems, it found the hot spare and automatically started to rebuild, but it still failed at 40%.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do? Should I just keep pulling 1 drive at a time to see if it ever rebuilds fully? Is the raid array toast? It seems like i can access the information on the raid drives, I havent tried all the stuff since it is over 1tb, but what I have randomly tested worked. Should I try and get everything off the array and totally redo it from scratch (I hope not)?

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RAID fails rebuild at 40%

Post by dicecca112 »

Need a little more info here, does it stop with an error? What OS? Sounds like one of three things, either more than one drive failed and the host spare didn't kick in, or the raid controller has failed, or program that controls the raid rebuild is borked.
KnightRid

Re: RAID fails rebuild at 40%

Post by KnightRid »

dicecca112 wrote:Need a little more info here, does it stop with an error? What OS? Sounds like one of three things, either more than one drive failed and the host spare didn't kick in, or the raid controller has failed, or program that controls the raid rebuild is borked.
It uses that WebPam program for all the RAID stuff. I have it running on Windows 7 64-bit, in compatibility mode I think, cant remember.

It found the spare drive and started to auto rebuild, but no matter what I do it fails at 40-41%. I dont notice an error because it takes so long, but when I reload webpam up the next day (it uses the web browser) it says..

Status - critical
Background Activity - Rebuild (41%)
Background Activity State - aborted

I dont abort it, yet every time at 40% or 41% it just stops - driving me nuts.

I am running "Media Patrol" on all 4 drives, but it is taking days - I am at the most around 77% done on 2 of the drives LOL - it is the program that checks for drive errors. I figured everything else isnt working, might as well check for that.

Mike

Also - the goofiest part of the whole thing, I can still see and access the raid array. I have tried playing some files that were on it and they play just fine. Raid is so cool, when it works LOL
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga: