What's with this "new" HDD??

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
jedihobbit
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

What's with this "new" HDD??

Post by jedihobbit »

To get things rolling I'm going to give general situations until I can get back to playing with the system. Unfortunately this will be done from faulty memory. :o

Trying to get my rework of Oz1 going and have purchase a used WD 250GB hdd for it. Software wise I've trying to load a SP1 or earlier version of XP Home "Update". General consciences have been that I should be able to do that with out having to load anything else. However I do have a "backup copy" of 98SE handy incase it is requested.

Now on to the problems...........

1. Tried to load the XP first. It loaded all the drivers and then when it tried to go into windows to finish it BSOD'ed.

2. Okay I tried loading 98SE but when it finished the initial driver load it didn't BSOD, but it went to some nether world and didn't boot into windows.

Each time before “failing” it would go to the “Windows Loading” screen. Where as XP would blue screen, 98SE would go to either an empty screen or have a blinking curser. After a period of time (undetermined) one of several “error” messages come up. The following are “paraphrased” as again this is from memory……….

1. Place bootable media in and hit any key
2. Close all memory intensive programs (software?)
3. Insufficient memory available

I’ve tried to run WD diagnostics from a bootable CD and see where it looks like it is starting, but then just hangs with the blinking curser.

As time allows I’ll try to get back to this in the next few days and will take pictures of the screens. Also contemplating taking out the drive and put it in an external box to see if I can get the diagnostics to work.
DreamCatcher v4.0 DOA >> SG01 Evo, TA790GXE, PII X4 945 (AQ H2O Cooled), BFG GTX280 H2OC, Seagate 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB, 2 x WD5000KSs, TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF, MODU82+ EMD525AWT, XP Home SP2
Kermit v4.0 VIRUSed >> Ultra MX6, 785GM-E65, PII X4 955 @ 3.70GHZ(air), XFX GTX285, Raptor X, F3-12800CL7D-2GBPI, OCZ700MXSP ModXStream Pro, XP Home SP2
Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE @ 3.00GHZ(air), 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: What's with this "new" HDD??

Post by Major_A »

Sounds more like the ROM you are using is either faulty or dirty. Try opening the tray and blowing out the interior with compressed air. If that doesn't work try another IDE/SATA cable. If you still have no luck see if you can use/borrow another drive.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: What's with this "new" HDD??

Post by bubba »

Bad RAM or jacked up optical drive.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson